Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926-S Buffalo Nickel With Rim Ring

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 333Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  3:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justme123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

bought this coin a while ago in a roll of lower grade better date buffalos.

the coin has a rim ring on both sides but it appears more pronounced on the reverse.

Would this be considered a mint error or some kind of PMD?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justme123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't notice until just now but the coin appears to have a slight lamination error at the top of the reverse too, but it appears very minor and I know lamination errors are very common for Buffalo nickels, so thats probably irrelevant for this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4676 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely a former Encased Coin
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justme123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok that makes sense to me, thanks for the information
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it looks like the coin was in some kind of bezel.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62696 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree as well.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage from a coin wrapping machine
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3609 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Damage from a coin wrapping machine

that is not the damage on this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5880 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking encased. Would like to see an end-on photo or two of the rim.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3252 Posts
Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was in a bezel at one time. I would want to look carefully at the edge and close to the rims for a seam and I would also want to weigh it since this is a better date. A target for counterfeiters to be sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the diameter normal? Is the edge normal?

It definitely isn't coin Wrapping Machine Damage. The depression around the rim is just in the field areas but doesn't seem to have disturbed the F or S in FIVE CENTS, or the bison's head. I would expect damage/scrpes in those areas.

It doesn't really look like encasement damage either. Typically an encasement where the edge of the die contacts the rim it mashes it down somewhat. Here the depression appears to be inside the rim.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
10/20/2021 5:32 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: