Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922-S Peace Dollar Struck Through Die Cap Or Grease Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 163Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  6:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justme123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I bought this coin a few years ago with a lot of other Peace dollars and I just assumed it was a damaged coin that somehow got damaged by the way someone else had stored it because the condition on the obverse is dramatically different than the reverse.

The obverse isn't as slick as it may appear in the pic because I can still see and feel the relief of the coin with my fingers so the weak condition doesn't appear to be just from excessive circulation wear.

And although the reverse does have some kind of dark environmental surface damage, it appears to have VF/XF details.

After looking at the coin again recently I'm wondering if the obverse might have been struck through a lot of grease or maybe struck through a die cap.

Can anyone tell from these pics if it might be a struck through type error coin?
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is damage. The rim is worn. Grease strikes, as far as I know, has no affect on the rim. Maybe a coin somebody threw on the sander for a few seconds.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justme123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you may be correct, Ive always thought the obv of this coin had sort of a melted appearence to it, but there are a lot of light surface scratches on the obv so I suppose it was just heavily scratched/sanded on one side some time ago.

I suppose the contrast in appearence on each side had me confused with this coin.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with jacrispies, looks like someone took a sander to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11969 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever caused it, it is a damaged coin. PMD
Nothing there that could have happened during the striking of the coin.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justme123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thanks for helping me confirm.

I still have a lot of other coins in my collection that I have never examined very closely for errors or varieties so maybe I can still find something good if I keep looking.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 163Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05