Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1890 S First Time Grading From Uploading Pics. Is This Worthy Of Sending In To Get Officially Graded

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 208Next Topic  

United States
44 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  03:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Edited by Luvdattcoin
10/14/2021 04:27 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth sending in to be slabbed, IMHO.A coin need a retail value of at least $150 to justify all costs involved in sending in. Also a few too many photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many pics was for different lighting to show coin details. The color and actual bright gleam of natural photos was so shiny the details around coin were hard to make out. I looked at alot of grade pics of 1890 Proof Morgans. There were lots of 64s that looked same condition condition. And 63s with way more light scratch damage than this one.
If you pull up rim pic , look close at flat side of coin straight down for the reverse. You can see the actual full shiny look and no toning or grey/beige color that's in reverse pics
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kept trying to get decent clear photos while using flash from numerous angles...and gleam was too much no matter how crisp pic was
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but it's not a proof. It looks to have XF sharpness, but cleaned, which is likely why it has a shiny appearance.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh, well that makes sense. And not gleamy as in proof. But definitely coin's reflection from flash made me do those dull low light pics. Couldn't get one pic out 100 to show the actual look of coin in person on both sides. It looks waaaay better than group of2015 quarters beside it, and 1890 long time ago. Appreciate the info on the cleaning.. #129304;I wouldn't have ever figured that out. Thanxs thanxs#128591;#128175;%
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4265 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To avoid issues with the flash, I suggest using strong natural or artificial light. The photography threads here can give you a lot of good advice.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a FYI: Proof is not a condition, it is a different minting process than business strike coins.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5543 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the opinions above. And yes, avoid flash photography with coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61405 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save your money.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12011 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a flip or 2x2 is enough.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
633 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there,
The grade looks to be about AU50 at best in my opinion. It would also come back with a details grade if you sent it in and it wouldn't be worth doing as it would have a maximum value of $50 probably.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10657 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree AU50. do not slab
Pillar of the Community
United States
3172 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put me in the do not slab and avoid flash when taking coin photos. I like white as the best back ground color. Your images are tinting the coin color based on back ground color. Best angle is directly overhead. Trash the out of focus photos. When you are taking a photo, try to get the photo to represent what the coin looks like in hand.

After trying many types of light bulbs, I have gone to using a LED day light bulbs, desk top lamp, with 3 power settings. It allows me to adjust the lighting for different types of coins. I am not calming to have all the photo answers, but found something that works for me.
Edited by Slider23
Yesterday 11:56 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 208Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05