Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Potential Dime Striking Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 262Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Robcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think The dime on the right may be struck off center. the rim looks much larger on one side than the other as well as being bigger than it should be.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12534 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will need pictures of both sides (this should be the norm) to say if it is a Misaligned Die or an off centre strike.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the other side of the dime in question
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12534 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, this is why we ask for pictures of both sides.
Seeing that it is only affecting one side, that is called a Misaligned Die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2036 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like it is on both sides of the dime.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me it looks like it is on both sides of the dime.

I think that may be because I had my camera at a slight angle the rim on the back of the coin is a consistent thickness all the way around

Quote:
Thanks, this is why we ask for pictures of both sides.
Seeing that it is only affecting one side, that is called a Misaligned Die.

Thank you for your help, I'm still new to the hobby and am still fuzzy on all the terms.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2036 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighting can play some crazy tricks on the eyes lol. So a slight MAD(or misaligned die). No premium for these guys but you learned something new so it's a win:).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12534 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lighting can play some crazy tricks on the eyes

Yes it can sometimes but in this case, lighting has nothing to do with it.
All you have to do is look at the distance from the outside of the rim to
the top of of the letters. It is consistent all around so it can't be ann off center strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1588 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is the edge completely reeded all the way around?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2036 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimmyD the reverse photos I can't see the rim much on the right side, it does not help that I'm looking at a dark picture on a cellphone screen. I have never been on this forum from a computer, every post, comment, etc even pictures taken everything I have done on the CCF has been from my cell phone to date. This will change in the future but for now it's all I have lol.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is the edge completely reeded all the way around?

yes it is
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: