Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Ancient Roman Coin Or Did I Get A Fake.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 482Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
849 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  4:10 pm Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the coin it is suppose to be, and I see it has a bank mark on the cheek:

T. Carisius Silver Denarius, 46 BC, Image of Coin Striking Instruments:
Obv. MONETA, Draped bust of Juno Moneta to right.
Rev. T·CARISIVS, Coining implements; all within laurel wreath.
Syd. 982; Craw. 464/2.
19 mm, 3.37 grams

Known counterfeit or the real deal?

Learn More...
United States
23633 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a reason you doubt it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fine to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JohnConduitt - Just was doing research / looking and found out there are a lot of fake Roman Republic coins and was wondering.
Thanks Travelcoin and echizento.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
107 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iulius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks like the same coin. Down to the money changers marks on the cheek and behind the neck. Not were I purchased the coin though. I got it just this year.
Valued Member
Canada
198 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks a lot like a copy of the one in the ACsearch images, focus for example on the extra metal on the reverse near the left edge of the anvil. note also that the toning pattern and dirt deposits amongst the letters have disappeared.
LRC
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have coins with dirt deposits that seem to disappear when photographed in different lighting. But the extra metal is worrying. There seems to be some by the last S on the reverse legend.

Does the edge look right? Where did you buy it?
Edited by JohnConduitt
10/15/2021 6:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like its fake. It was an Ebay purchase, and I figured it was likely a not real, but wanted something representing that reverse. I only paid $55 total. It's a good fake at least.

Weight is only 3.141g instead 3.6 to 3.9g It does plink like coins, but not quite like silver. So not sure what would be easy enough to cast with that would get that sound.

Looking closesly, the "dirt" around the "S" is a problem with the metal flow. Not dirt.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  05:30 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello:

This situation does not make any sense to me. That might be someone weighed it incorrectly originally etc. The reason I say this is you'd have to pay hundreds of dollars and maybe more for an artist to make exactly that coin of yours that way and then it is tossed out into eBay for $55? There are fake coins and then there is yours which if this identical the only way it would make any sense to be made so perfectly is for them to have make many copies and any copy would have more differences than what people are seeing after 7 years since the last photograph. Please tell us the link to who you purchased this from on eBay and we can just figure out the pedigree from there if you would be so kind. I did an eBay past sold coin search many ways and can't seem to find it so did they even put the name of the coin in the title of the listing? Sorry but money is money and this cost way more to make this perfectly for some artist as it is not a cast obvious fake than the cost of just buying one of the many originals in circulation. You can put the coin in a black box forever but you might be discrediting an authentic ancient coin. So lets take this to the next level and please use eBay's advanced search for sold items to find the past listing then paste that here if you would be so kind. It sold in the last year it is there. Then we can just ask. There is no reason to protect the seller if people decide they have sold a fake coin and they would want to know. There is just no reason they would even want this whole situation private as people are talking about a coin they sold. After you post the original listing we can do some more investigation for you.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, this is very curious. I posted about this coin series from a very different coin in an old estate flip. In that post below, you can see what I created for the ID:

Syd. 982; Craw. 464/2.
19 mm, 3.37 grams

http://goccf.com/t/389409

Now in your post you wrote:

--->"This is the coin it is suppose to be, and I see it has a bank mark on the cheek:

Syd. 982; Craw. 464/2.
19 mm, 3.37 grams"<-------

OK those were the measurements for my coin, which is a very different coin. But how I set up the ID, down to the writing of Silver Denarius and the :, that is exactly from one of my 2020 listings. So you bought a coin, a very different coin as you can see from my post, and the person used my exact text from my 2020 listing?

I am sorry, please forgive my confusion but none of this makes any sense now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Louis, the seller must have been researching on ebay what they have sold for and used your ID?
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is no longer a registered member of eBay and thus I can't contact them anymore. If there is some doubt if it is fake or not, I'll not lock it away. I could send it in to NGC for grading and see what happens.

Just don't want to waste money if it was a known coin that was fake cast. But I don't see any casting line on the edge. Guess they could have been sanded off.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
didbg84 is a known seller of fakes from Bulgaria: http://www.lateromanbronzecoinforum...opic=1247.30

Also http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html

Victor and Warren are obviously reputable dealers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JohnConduitt. I'm learning a lot of good resources / links for the future. So it was worth it in that regard.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: