Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Non-V75 Coin In V75 Slab

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 482Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  3:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's an interesting one that I came across recently. Apparently, there are Silver Eagles out there which do not actually have the V75 mark on the coin--yet are still in slabs that say "V75".

I'm not sure whether this is PCGS's fault or fraud on the part of the seller (or possibly some combination of the two), but be aware if you are trying to buy V75 coins (or trying not to get gouged on a regular one).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313547549016

Pillar of the Community
United States
865 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason they put V75 on there is because that is a 2020 coin-still the 75th anniversary of the end of the war even if it doesn't have the privy mark.
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set:
http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another marketing gimmick by the TPG. Like NGC planning to label 2021 Peace as high relief even though it isn't. The US Mint specifically said it is not high relief. NGC is supposedly honoring the 1921 by using the high relief designation. I won't buy it.
Edited by livingwater
10/15/2021 5:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
106567 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is... not surprising. I never cared for the specialty labels. Just give me the faded blue on the obverse side and call it good.
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I saw these on eBay, and other attempts to mislead about 75th Anniversary vs V75 privy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake slab?
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holder looks genuine to me.

The V75 holder isn't outright fraudulent, but it seems to be subliminally misleading people to buy a regular coin. Just another reason to triple check what you are buying.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first post said it was PCGS marketing ploy. I checked the PCGS web site for qualifying coins to buy the label. It says "All 2020 American Eagles in all metals, mint marks and finishes." Other coins are also eligible. So this is a legit label to honor V75 even though it isn't on the coin itself. I don't care for it at all. The seller wants $175 for a plain ASE which cost only $10 extra for the label. Collecting special labels is not for me. Avoid!
Edited by livingwater
10/15/2021 11:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got to hand it to the TPG's, Survive they do !!!! JMO

Paying to arrive at Another's Opinion.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3578 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OMG - another piece of TPG puffery to sell slabs.

IMAGINE THAT
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I checked the PCGS web site for qualifying coins to buy the label. It says "All 2020 American Eagles in all metals, mint marks and finishes." Other coins are also eligible. So this is a legit label to honor V75 even though it isn't on the coin itself. I don't care for it at all.

Wow. That has money grab written all over it. I certainly don't care for that sort of trickery, either.

But thank you to @livingwater for looking into it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes just bullion. On PCGS special labels page there's a list of coins that can have the V75 label even though it's not on the coins. Oh it's so special you need them all, NOT. Anything for a buck in the TPG world. The seller is making a big profit from the buyers who don't understand.
Edited by livingwater
10/20/2021 07:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: