Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 Indian Head Bites The Dust From Vinegar And Salt Bath - Any Hope Left For It Or Rip?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 590Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I was going to sell this 1884 indian head and I noticed some green stuff on it and wanted to clean it off. I figure people wouldn't want to buy a coin with green stuff on it.

So I soaked it in vinegar and salt - took it out

And the surface is whacked out. It had nice details - but now the surface is so jacked up its hard to make out any detail. It lightened the color of the coin - but its too light and spotted with darker areas.

Bottom line is this penny RIP or is there something else I should be trying to revive it ? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62941 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a goner. Lesson learned, I hope.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/15/2021 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awww man that's too bad.

Usually acetone attacks loose material safely. If it won't come off with acetone then I think it's on the coin forever.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16199 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't ever use vinegar and salt for anything other than a Salad . It's very corrosive on some metals .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - thats what I figured.

What do you all do about the green stuff that appears on old copper coins?

Do people buy coins with that on it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62941 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdi-Care is the best product for removing green corrosion spots, but it is generally not a financially efficient solution for a coin that I imagine this once was!
Edited by Coinfrog
10/15/2021 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5945 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If coins could talk... "Nooooooooo..."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3578 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You buy some VerdiCare from BadThad.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4087 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are way better products than VerdiCare
to restore bronze , copper , and copper nickel coins
that have surface ( soft ) Verdigris . Hard verdigris,
Forget it , coin ruined no matter what you do .
It is hit and miss as to availability anyways .
The above coin done like the remnants of Thanksgiving dinner .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4087 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Pacificoin
10/15/2021 9:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Warm soapy water. No good?
Acetone. No good?
Xylene. No Good?
Verdi-Care.

This was the list BadThad posted here on the forum at one time. He is the devloper of Verdi-Care.

Never use anything that will remove surface metal - it removes value form the coin and is what the hobby calls "cleaning."

Never rub or scrub a coin. It leaves scratch marks and then the coin is considered being cleaned ie. it loses value.

When drying a coin, never rub or wipe. Use a cotton cloth. Yes, even a tissue will scratch the surface. Agin the coin would be classified as cleaned and again lose value.

When rinsing
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19264 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would anonomously drop it in a coin dealer's junk box at a coin show.

Win/win/win 3 ways.
1. The dealer has a vey small incease to his inventory for free, and may make a small profit on it for nil outlay.
2. You have disposed of something you don't need.
3. Another collector could pick up a date space filler for minimum cost.

This sort of 'donation' can be used for disposing of small quantities of low value coins that you don't need. If you have a lot of them, ask the dealer first.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16199 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sel_691 , anyone not wanting their coins , just drop them in my mailbox .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
106568 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used Verdi-Care with great success. I have no experience and thus no opinion to offer on the products in Pacificoin's list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin is not a potato chip. And the textured surface looks identical. Yikes!
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
10/20/2021 8:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62941 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP's coin was never a candidate for restoration. It was corroded beyond repair before his ill-advised treatment.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: