Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 LMC Small Date Copper DDR?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 532Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this penny in my pile but can't find any reference to it. It looks a bit like WDDR-002 from Wexler's site or DDR-01 from VarietyVista, but both of those are listed as zinc and this one weighs 3.02g.
Guidance from the experts, please?

Edited by Krisalane
10/15/2021 6:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41877 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not seeing a DDR, what attribution number do you think it might be?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this penny in my pile but can't find any reference to it. It looks a bit like WDDR-002 from Wexler's site or DDR-01 from VarietyVista, but both of those are listed as zinc and this one weighs 3.02g.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some other pics if it helps... The D STA and E*PL are wider and longer thank on other coins I have.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And here is a comparison with the same year, mint etc... Again, I'm a super newbie to this.
Is there something I'm missing?

Pillar of the Community
United States
7507 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin has circulation flattening/damage, along with some Die Deterioration.
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
4071 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54571 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weakness on States ic common. The opposite side of the bust is getting full metal from the planchet, but the reverse suffers. The devices on a doubled die will be enlarged fully. Note on the weakness, the full height is missing. So as mentioned earlier, that area didn't get the full metal there. If the planchet is even slightly lite, that area will not have the full strike up on those devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54571 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what you need to see on this DDR. I don't see it on your coin:

Your coin is normal. (Rare to see these as I think I can only think of less than 5 posted here before)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62720 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for that Coop! I've been studying CoopHome, but wow this is confusing!
I'll keep trying :)
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, if I read correctly, the larger D STA is from Die Deterioration or over polishing, correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54571 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No that's hub doubling on the die. That is called "spread ".
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry Coop, I meant from my picture here... what causes the top coin to have a wider and longer D ST than the bottom coin? Both are same year, mint etc... Are you saying that is hub doubling?

Edited by Krisalane
10/17/2021 02:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41877 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When comparing coins,you need to use the same date and same mint mark as well as same condition.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks John1. Unfortunately, I only have one copper philly sd so I am comparing it to a zinc philly sd. But still, the D ST are longer and wider than the surrounding letters on the same coin. What is this error/variety called or what causes the letters to be fatter and longer, but not as thick as other letters? I've looked through all the comparison photos I can find here, DD, copper coins, variety vista and error-ref, and the only reference I can find to this type of lettering has been on other coins listed as DDR. I'm sure, I'm not that lucky, but I'd like to figure out what I'm looking at and why it's the way it is. Is there anywhere else you'd suggest I try? Thanks again.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: