Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Centenary Of Federation 50 Cent Is Hardest To Find?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 287Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
201 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  01:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The answer is ... ACT, by a long way!

Searched over 138 thousand 50 cent coins and found 905 Centenary of Federation 2001 state fifty cent coins. Here is the break down:

154 New South Wales
153 Victoria
142 Queensland (My home state)
101 Northern Territory
90 Tasmania
84 Norfolk Island
69 Western Australia
66 South Australia
46 ACT

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19250 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A pattern Cu-Ni 50 Cents die trial was made:
obverse:- generally the same design as the Centenary Of Federation, 50 Cents, but without legend,
reverse:- generally the same design of new Parliament house that is found on the NCLT Al-Br crown sized coin as issued to collectors, but without legend.

Less than 10 examples produced, now command $5 to $10 thousand at auction.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
974 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Searched over 138 thousand 50 cent coins and found 905 Centenary of Federation 2001 state fifty cent coins. Here is the break down:

154 New South Wales 17%
153 Victoria 16.9%
142 Queensland (My home state) 15.7%
101 Northern Territory 11.2%
90 Tasmania 9.9%
84 Norfolk Island 9.3%
69 Western Australia 7.6%
66 South Australia 7.3%
46 ACT 5.1%

Interesting results MachinMachinMan ... statistically you would expect NSW (mintage-3 million) to be the most common and ACT (mintage-2 million) to be the scarcest but according to the figures below you would have anticipated a much higher strike rate for the ACT, all things being equal.

Valued Member
Australia
201 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you would have anticipated a much higher strike rate for the ACT, all things being equal

For some reason all things aren't equal when it comes to noodling. Until recently I had actually found more 1985 50c coins than ACT. And 2017 Mabo 50c seem to have totally dried up here in Brisbane.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19250 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a range of 5.1% to 17%, (ref. coaster), I suspect that there was an equal number of coins struck for each COF design.
Nevertheless,
would need to check RAM Mint Reports for both financial years 1987-88 and 1988-89 to confirm. Sometimes, dies that have not been used are eventually put into production.

Then, a more accurate assessment of numbers of coins issued into circulation vs proportions of numbers of coins found in circulation can be made.

I suspect that the variation of percentages after 36 years of issued vs found in circulation may be quite wide.
Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found plenty of all the States but here in WA I gave up saving WA and NSW. Seemed to be the most popular here
Pillar of the Community
Australia
699 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For some reason all things aren't equal when it comes to noodling. Until recently I had actually found more 1985 50c coins than ACT. And 2017 Mabo 50c seem to have totally dried up here in Brisbane.

Yes,i was into CoF Coins in a big way 20 years ago,local Teller used to save them for me plus normal noodling of 50c.
I couldn't believe the prices people were paying for individual Coins back then on Ebay,A$4-10 was common but has levelled out these days.
I sold dozens,probably well over a hundred,i had a winfall for minimum work.
I was in Sydney at the time and the rarest 50c back then were the ACT & Norfolk Island.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1134 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for me its ACT and WA or at least that what ive noticed
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: