Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My New Zealand Large 20 Cent Collection All Found In Circulation In Australia

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 551Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
201 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From the hundreds and hundreds of kiwi 20 cents I have found while noodling Australian 20 cent coins over the years I have put together this set. I believe the only coin missing is the 2005 of which most were melted down and I don't like my chances of ever finding such a low mintage NZ coin in circulation in Australia.

Apart from the obverse of the 1972 coin I am very happy with the overall condition of the set considering where I sourced them from.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62662 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
703 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrific
Pillar of the Community
United States
1413 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7529 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Nice set
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
972 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to go through the container that I put any NZ coin that I come across in change or when noodling and see if I'm close to having any complete sets!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3148 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great set, you have all of them there except the very scarce 2005 coin. 1968 and 1970 were only issued in sets and no coins at all were issued between 1991 and 2001.

Very impressive since they have been in Australia. We stopped using these coins in 2006, to switch to the smaller steel coin.

1973, 1983 and 1984 are the most scarce dates with under 2 million issued each year. The most common years are 1982 and 1987. 1982 was mainly for the explosion of spacies machines that cost 20 cents then.

You may even be lucky to find old Florins too. These were the size of 20 cent coins and any from 1947 onwards were used right up to 2006.

These were cupronickel, most common dates are 1965 then 1964 and usually 1947, 48, 49 and 50. Less common are 1961, 62 and 51. The 2 rare dates you never saw were 1953 and 1963.

And you never saw a silver one dated 1946 or earlier!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
10/17/2021 02:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3328 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done MachinMachinMan. Nice set.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
201 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I think it's pretty funny that there are so many kiwi coins in circulation over here that don't even circulate anymore in the country they were issued in. Seems there would not be much fun to be had noodling in New Zealand anymore.
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you know that there is still a clause in the Australian constitution that if New Zealand and the states agree that, New Zealand can join the federation of Australia, or maybe I just dreamt that up.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3148 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MMMan - There isn't, somewhere buried in the first two pages of this section is my short thread on Kiwi coin noodling at the start of 2021 - apart from the $1 and $2 which go back to 1990, our coins have only been minted on average 1 year in 2 since 2006 and even now the 2020 dated coins have not been released.

The main reason is lack of demand, the cents coins are small, scrappy and cheap. Another big reason is the Covid hysteria which several shops have banned the use of cash as they are worried they will catch Covid 19 - despite the fact coins can not spread it - the air does.

Ryurazu - Yes but I doubt we will join with Australia, our nations, peoples, destiny, political outlooks and styles of government are way to different. I mean if Australia is the USA, then we are definitely Canada if you get the drift.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Princetane can you tell this American what

"the explosion of spacies machines that cost 20 cents then."

means....

MMMan...great collection, my fingers are crossed that you find the 2005
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
10/18/2021 9:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
788 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably Space Invader's. An arcade machine.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3148 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standing video machine units of the late 1970s, early 1980s. Named after Space invaders, kiddie vernacular here led to the neologism - spacies.

Kind of Maori/poor people English - "Hey yuse fullas, want to play da spacies, got to get some 20 censes". I know I was one of those young Maori kids and we often got the coins from stealing people's milk bottle money (In the days when milk was home delivered, people left the money with the empty bottles - we were little tykes then).

The term stuck, slightly more refined english was the video games.
Edited by Princetane
10/18/2021 11:47 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 551Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: