Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Double Punched Mint Mark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 277Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  9:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GoodTimes2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is a double punched mint mark on this 1964 D Roosevelt dime.

Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4267 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first pic looks like it could be an RPM, possibly, the second and third pic are of a different coin and are either MD or the mm has taken a hit, damage. Help us help you.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
10/16/2021 11:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have posted pics of two completely different dimes. What happened there? Either way, neither are RPM's.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodTimes2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, same dime but shot at different angles. Not completely lying flat.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all Welcome to the forum. I think there has been a mistake here in your photos. With all due respect, are you saying that your first pic in this thread is the exact same Dime as your second and third pictures?
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodTimes2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, as far as I know, they're the same dime, shots taken at different and varying angles. I'm double checking because I have a number of '64 and '64D dimes. Going through them again.
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both sides (top and bottom) are Machine Doubling. Note the devices could be affected the same, or the mintmark is taller and got hit by the MD on that device. also note that the mintmark is not larger? On a RPM they mintmarks are enlarged with more punches showing.
http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...%201964D.htm
Note how much larger the RPMs are?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/18/2021 4:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3621 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree both are Machine Doubling.

I also agree that there are likely two coins in these pictures. The doubling on both sides would be visible in every image.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same coin. Look at the brown spot that is visable in both images. Lighting angles show off the MD better in different angles.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/18/2021 7:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: