Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1974 D Aluminum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 474Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Madigansteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if you can help me out with this. Until I get a scale I just have this one other to compare to.

Edited by Madigansteven
10/16/2021 11:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19264 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Does the white one weigh exactly the same as the brown one?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41979 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. We get this question a few times each year. We will need an accurate weight as well as full coin photo front and back to assist you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even without a scale, a simple balance will tell you if one is much lighter than the other. The weight difference is significant and just the heft alone should tell you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12594 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

(1) If it was aluminum, it would weigh less than a gram and would be easy to tell the difference between a copper and aluminum coin.
(2) Most of the experimental aluminum coins where made at the Philadelphia Mint, the Denver mm has only two known.
(3) If you owned one, it would be illegal to own as they were never meant to be released for circulation.
(4)If yours is aluminum, it is probably one of the numerous Chinese Counterfeits out there.

correct typo
Edited by JimmyD
10/17/2021 10:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62940 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'll wait for weight.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
35846 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put one coin in one hand, and the "aluminum" one in the other.
Does one feel significantly lighter than the other?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17243 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has been plated. PMD
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
106566 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7575 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As BadThad stated, without question, this cent has been plated.
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks Plated.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community. Looks plated.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: