Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Date Lincoln Memorial Cent Mint Error - Off Center, Double Struck, Split Planchet

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 903Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:49 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All right now. So I'm going to, as usual, take my best guess at this thing and hope those who study errors can sort it out and see how close I got.

I'm seeing a copper Memorial cent that weighs just 1.12g so only about 1/3 of a coin. The coin was struck off center maybe around 60%, and then the planchet split. The reverse image on the obverse is the shadow imprint into the coin from the actual reverse strike. The coin is too thin to show any of the obverse this way. Then the coin got a little nip from a second strike.

Let's see how I did. And FYI this coin was in an auction lot with three other regular off center coins titled "4 BROADSTRUCK Lincoln CENTS ERROR" and I paid $36 for the lot.

No Date Lincoln Memorial cent mint error - off center, double struck, split planchet

Pillar of the Community
United States
4677 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting error!

Is that second strike an edge strike?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it appears to me that a second strike just nicked the edge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4677 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, what I meant by edge strike was if coin was perpendicular to the dies when it was struck, so the design transfer is on the edge face of the coin.
Edited by Adam_E
10/17/2021 12:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:44 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is probably too thin to tell, but from what I see that does not appear to be the case. But looking at it from the edge it might be good for me to do a close up and maybe edge shot for this one. I'll see if I get time tomorrow to add some images.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a fantastic error coin! What's crazy, is that may be one of the best strikes I've ever seen on the stairs of a 73, they are usually weak and soft.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
1797 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin. @ makecents when you have two coins struck together it generally has a strong strike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ makecents when you have two coins struck together it generally has a strong strike.
Thanks, Will! That makecents.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62762 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh boy, I love a good a mystery.

I'm easily seeing the split planchet but IMHO I'm seeing this one struck by a die cap after the split.
I think it is a mid-stage partial brockage. The blurry memorial building seems to be orientated correctly and the perimeter of the building is incuse (to be struck from a die cap).

I think the reason the lines from the split planchet are still visible is because of how thin it is.

I'm not sure if this is my imagination but it appears some of those lines remaining after the split deviate from their original trajectory depending on how they are in relation to the center of the dies when struck. If so, do you think it might be metal flow affecting the direction of the lines?
(Hope this marked-up image of yours helps make sense of what I'm trying to convey.)

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5271 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a crazy cool piece! Not too well versed in the error terminology to help you out with this one but from what I see, I do agree it appears to be double struck with both strikes off center and a split planchet.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an amazing looking error!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the great comments! Much appreciated. I had considered that the obverse was struck through a die cap, but can't remember now why I was thinking it wasn't. Anyway, that was my original thought as well but didn't go with it. Something to think about though and thanks for brining it up.

Here are a few more pics of the second strike area, plus one of the funky striation pattern as I just think that makes a neat image.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An amazing "coin", Bats! You always come up with the coolest things!
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool error!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set:
http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54589 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't know what year this one is? Clue: It was the only year that had that large of initials on the reverse.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 903Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: