Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1975 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Altered - Two Heads

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 285Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:06 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a fun one. I found it in a regular mixed bag of wheats and memorials I was sifting through. As far as magicians coins go, it's a pretty good one. They cut two coins in half, glued them together, and then reworked the rim a bit to hide the seam. At 2.94g it's pretty close to correct weight as well.

The only problem with it, and it's a big problem, is that they glued it in medal orientation.

1975-D Lincoln Memorial cent altered - two heads

Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is crazy cool! Can you show us a picture of the edge of the coin please?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ordinarily I'd be happy to pull it back out and take more pics, but I'm processing an awful lot of coins tonight and only posting a few. I'd rather not take the time right now as edges are tough to do well. But it essentially looks like someone feathered a wire brush along the edge making the seam disappear in all the light brush markings.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, pics of the edge if you can!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice but you forgot to post an image of the reverse.

I just came across my first one and it is poorly done. It looks like the original obverse was lost and someone tried to make a replacement by dipping the replacement in acid. (I'll try to get some images and post them separately.)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what you are hoping to see here, but this is the edge as described.

Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank for posting that edge pic TB. I was just wanting to see how it looked being that two coins were cut in half and to see how well they were put back together. That's pretty impressive work. How someone cleanly cuts a Cent in half is beyond me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7506 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone went to a lot of trouble to cover their tracks with this one, but you can still see the seam on edge. Cool coin, Bats!
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was a bad choice with 2 heads. 95% of the time, the guy calling a coin toss chooses heads. A double tails coin would be the one to win with.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/17/2021 2:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One other thought on this one and how it was made. I was perplexed at how a small Cent could be cut perfectly in half without damaging any of the obverse features. It then hit me that this was done by sanding down the reverse(s) with a very good wet grinding diamond wheel or stone of some sorts which would be much easier to preserve the desired face of the coin and thus further leaving a nice flat edge on both coins that were then glued together. Still a very cool coin TB. Thanks for sharing this with us!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: