Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 D Lincoln Wheat Cent Die Event - Pre Cud Pc-1c-1943 D-01

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 299Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:32 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While there are a multitude of pre cuds on 1943 P and S, there are only 4 known from 1943-D. I don't know what Denver was doing different, but with the dies striking the harder steel rather than the softer copper, a lot of dies cracked, just seemingly not in Denver.

Also of note the nomenclature for these changed a while back from retained cud to pre cud. They used to attributed starting with RCD, but now appear to be coming in as starting with PC.

1943-D Lincoln Wheat cent die event - pre cud PC-1C-1943D-01

Pillar of the Community
United States
768 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pick up. Those are harder to find.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice TB. One observation in your pic. What's going on with the upper horizontal bar of the Mint Mark? It looks very elongated. Maybe a lighting issue, hard to tell.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:36 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are seeing is a lighting issue. That said, the coin is a D/D/D (east and split lower serif). It's just so minor I didn't take the time to see if it was a listed variety.

Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well.. if it is any consolation, there is not a listed D/D/D for a 1943 that I know of or could find on VV or Coppercoins. Just FYI.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:57 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I might have to look into it. Thx.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41874 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wexler has a few listed D/D/D. # 30 and 37 and 40 http://doubleddie.com/887255.html
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example TB.

Could you post an image of the edge to give everyone an idea what to look for on "real" '43 steel cents? Replated ones are so abundant it's nice to see the real deal, so thanks for sharing.

Once an authentic, un-reprocessed steel cent is slabbed for a grade there is no way to see the edge for learning. Some of the re-processing is getting pretty good and I've had some well known and respected members of the hobby hesitate a little but say it looks good to them when I thought the coin I showed them was re-processed.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
10/17/2021 09:47 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3965 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OKay, but not sure this is best place or coin for this. Pulling a high grade error coin back out of the 2x2 to muck with it taking awkward edge pics is risky. And pics buried here on unrelated thread. Would have been better to pull a few UNCs for edge comparisons in a thread about replates.

Edited by tropicalbats
10/17/2021 12:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5265 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! A nice die event/variety combo on a really solid coin.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62707 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a million for those edge shots. They definitely confirmed the original look for steel cents that I was expecting.
(To be clear, I wasn't questioning your coin, I was only looking for verification on other steel cents about what to look for with MS examples. But you are right about any shots that showed the edge finish for any original coin would have worked. I just didn't remember seeing any posted on other threads by anyone and forgot about the search feature. Thanks again. )
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
832 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the altitude of the Denver Mint has/had anything to do with the dies lasting longer....

TB great to have you back and sharing your finds..
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surface is mint.

The striation lines on the edge are not filled. (something that would have happened if this coin had been reprocessed) Nice retained cud. I see a separation on the area next to the rim. (meaning that the collar was still holding the die together. This often happens on the Wheat reverses breakdown of the dies.)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/19/2021 1:05 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: