Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Lincoln Wheat Cent Mint Error - Straight Clip W/ Slight Tapered Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 277Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  01:51 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a pretty minor error, but the coin itself is so attractive that I paid eight bucks for it. It's eye appeal in-hand is really strong, more than in the photos as I'm lousy at photographing toning.

1944 Lincoln Wheat cent mint error - straight clip w/ slight tapered planchet 3g

Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly one of the most beautiful and eye-appealing wheat clips that I've seen, nice purchase Bats!

Hope the collecting is going well!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SC, Yeah it's been a pretty good run lately. I have over 250 coins carded and waiting to get filed once I'm home for good with some really strong stuff in there. Plus still almost four rolls of bag finds to attribute. Lots to do as the time frees up. Just one more week of batting for the year and will mostly be around after that.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really would like to know what you do "batting"....... That sounds too cool! I love bats (but I love my Owls more :) and have them all over the place around here where I live and they always come out at dusk (I sound like a newbie here regarding bats don't I?.... ha!) Bats are great for us because they eliminate a lot of the bugs we have all summer long. It freaks out my wife and daughter when they come swooping down near them out of nowhere but I think it is pretty cool.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh... and I forgot to mention, sorry.... very nice clip you have here and most definitely a tapered planchet as evidenced by the lack of details of the strike adjacent to the clip. This one came from the front, or the back, of the sheet of metal while blanking no doubt. Very nice! I would have definitely paid 8 bucks for it and probably more. And a small reverse cud to boot. Good pick-up!
Edited by Bumpkin
10/17/2021 02:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  02:41 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I can't really tell stories of bats and caves and all that kind of stuff here, but you can PM me. And thanks for the comments! I was thinking that wasn't a cud but collateral to the end of roll issues. I'll have to take another look when I get a chance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41982 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I also see some minor indirect die transfer (ghosting) going on.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi SC, Yeah it's been a pretty good run lately. I have over 250 coins carded and waiting to get filed once I'm home for good with some really strong stuff in there. Plus still almost four rolls of bag finds to attribute. Lots to do as the time frees up. Just one more week of batting for the year and will mostly be around after that.

Glad to hear it, wow very nice, that's certainly some progress! Jeez, sounds like quite the time for sure! Ah I hope you're having a good time with the bat work, (whether that be entering data or out in the field). I've been quite occupied with a mixture of college work and lifeguarding. Haven't had a whole lot of time for looking through coins, though I have been working on some of the unattributed ones you gave me from time to time. Once I'm done this year and summer rolls around, I suspect I'll get back deep into the hobby.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2620 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice addition and you managed to pick up. There's some toning in the recess of the transition from the bust to the field you did manage to show.

Pretty nice and strong Blakesly effect on the reverse opposite the clip. I think you're right about the lump of metal on the reverse not being a cud. I thought it was at first glance, but think the dies didn't touch this area of the planchet as evidenced by the lack of any details by the rim gutter.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62954 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, you're on a tear today!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5305 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another extremely nice coin for your collection! I would pay $8 for this all day every day for a double error on a colorful MS wheat. Your photography did an excellent job picking up the color.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great comments! All are appreciated.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: