Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd 1982 Canadian Confederation Dollar Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,220Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  2:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add catfluff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there! I have a pile of coins from my Grandpa after he passed. I have some 1982 CDN Confederation coins and one in particular is different.

It weighs 13g versus the others that are 15g. It also has very rough edges and it isn't magnetic.

Any thoughts on whether this has some special worth? I'll add my pictures if I can get it figured out.

Edited by catfluff
10/17/2021 2:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure that you have the weight correct and compare to the others. If you have a caliper check the thickness of the coin away from the edge. It is nickel, so it should be attracted to a good magnet. A normal coin for '82 should be 15.62 g, while the thin planchet is lighter. In my old Charlton, it says that only 3 of the thin planchets are known, but I don't know if that's the case here. They may have found thousands by now (my book 2011). Also check for coin orientation, whether coinage or medal.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/17/2021 2:50 pm
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add catfluff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks okiecoiner!

I don't have a caliper - shoot. Here's how it compares with one that is heavier (15g) and nicer.

The left coin is the odd one. I'm testing it with my rare earth magnet and it for sure isn't magnetic. In the pic, you can see the rough sort of ridges on it.

My little scale doesn't go to decimals so I'll see if I can find a neighbour that may. 13g is as fine as I can get.

Valued Member
Canada
477 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the details are off- the centres, added detail at left reverse, faces all over.... Is the surface smooth? is it the same texture as the genuine one? Raised details just look off- faces in the crowd,,, Detail in the jewels in the crown, details in the garment of the Queen, hair and face lines just look different. Is it a new counterfeit?
Valued Member
Canada
477 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about the rim, both sides, and the edges, including the rifling. Canadian usually (excluding the 1968 US made 10 cents) have a v notching on the edges.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one on the left looks like either somewhat worn or a weak strike. That doesn't account for the fact that it's not magnetic. Both of the varieties were struck from pure nickel blanks. Maybe SPP will chime in, as he is the dollar guru. I don't know if the RCM struck similar size coins for other countries with non-nickel alloys.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a thin rolled stock/blank. that would account for the weight, and not being fully struck.
Valued Member
Canada
477 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But not for added details, such as the table at bottom left of the scene.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1884 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see anything added...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2601 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
looks like a thin rolled stock/blank. that would account for the weight, and not being fully struck.

still doesn't account for being non-magnetic.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Valued Member
Canada
193 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait to see SPP's opinion for this coin !
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add catfluff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more pics for perusing.

The 'oddball' surface is sort of smooth but not like the nicer one. The ridges around the outer edge are higher than the nice one. I haven't been able to use calipers to measure but if you lay them side by side, the 'oddball' is thinner in the centre. The outer edges are pretty similar as you can see in the pics.

The 'oddball' is always on the left or first:

Learn More...
Canada
9957 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a small jewel type, and almost all those are weakly struck, so the surface characteristics you see there are from that. The weight differential is not a huge thing, as I see a pretty big range on nickel dollars.

The non-magnetic is a huge thing. You have a Canadian nickel dollar struck on a 1982 Cu-Ni planchet intended for a New Zealand 50c strike. The 1982 Constitution dollars can be found on a handful of New Zealand planchets, including 10c and 25c host planchets (the latter being more common). Here is one I have on a 10c planchet: https://www.PCGS.com/cert/32839553

From what I can see, you have a really nice nickel dollar error there.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the monarch has spoken, so now we know.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add catfluff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing insight you guys! I appreciate it!

I'm not a collector nor do I aspire to be. I'm just starting to go through some of the coins Grandpa left behind when he passed and seeing if there are any nuggets of treasures for the family.

Next is for me to see where I can share this with someone that might want it. I've posted some stuff on eBay so far. Probably not the best option but convenient for me.

Should I see if I can find a local coin collector or buyer? What do you think are good next steps with this thing?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: