Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ireland 1940 6 Pence - Die Crack?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  4:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just purchased. It looks like a massive die crack to me.

Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@otto, that is an interesting coin. I'm not sure that you have a die crack there, although I don't think that it is just damage either. Perhaps a planchet flaw similar to a partial lamination? I'm interested to see what others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5947 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a lamination issue, not a die crack.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess an actual die crack wouldn't continue through the dog. Is that correct?
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I disagree with that, although the die crack *might* change direction when it hit the dog. Rather, this looks more like a lamination due to the wrinkled appearance of the metal right next to the linear defect. I suspect, but definitely do not recommend, that you could lift up some of that metal with the edge of a knife. Again, you shouldn't actually do that as it damages the coin, but I'm thinking that the wrinkled metal is quite thin.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. The pic is a bit blurry. Maybe I can take a better one when I get it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received coin. A better pic. It is lamination

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12596 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better picture. We can see all the detail now.
Definitely a Lamination Issue, you can see a second line
above the first which would be the other side of the lamination.
Edited by JimmyD
10/24/2021 09:12 am
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Received coin. A better pic. It is lamination

Agreed--very nice!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: