Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 CC Morgan Dollar For Grading, Raw

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 544Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
4677 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm would consider it to be a 62PL if I were looking to buy it, and hope for a 63 DMPL if I were submitting it.

Pretty coin! Is it a GSA dollar?
Edited by Adam_E
10/17/2021 6:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Adam_E, it is not in a GSA holder, and I was hoping for 63DMPL too because I paid more than 62PL money for it :) I'm just using my phone to take the pics, probably doesn't do the coin enough justice. It is a stunning coin, and I didn't have a CC Morgan but can't say that anymore.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62783 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 62PL tops. Can't see 63 with all those Reeding Marks.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/18/2021 11:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3281 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the mirrored fields are tough to judge, there are a number of light and heavy breaks in the cheek. A heavy centralized reed hit to the cheek, as well as two heavier reed hits in the fields in front of the nose and chin. The series of parallel hits in the fields in front of the eye are also a concern. Nice example, but I'm also at MS62 PL
Pillar of the Community
United States
6122 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "beard" on Miss Liberty is very distracting and really hurts the coin.

I'd go with 62PL based on what I can see.

It's always nice to get your first CC Morgan .. no matter what it looks like! Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1031 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62 maybe prooflike
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id buy it if the price was right. 62 PL
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My Set Registry

Pillar of the Community
United States
653 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  02:42 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with MS-62PL
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10862 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
reverse a little weak for this year. glare from lighting could be hiding surface issues like the reeding on the cheek and possibly in front of the chin. really cant get a good read on the cheek. looks like a scuff in front of the eye. coin has a cameo look to it with PL surfaces on both sides. either MS62PL or maybe MS63PL. I think it has a chance at 63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3248 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
62PL
Pillar of the Community
United States
4417 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63, possibly PL but can't tell that from photos.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am terrible at capturing the accurate surfaces of this coin with my phone. I guess I should take it out of the little plastic case it is in. It is without a doubt PL.
Here is the ebay link with more pictures : https://www.ebay.com/itm/224597860302
I did make an offer, so paid less than the asking price shown there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3281 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller seems pretty confident it's DMPL, and definitely asking DMPL pricing. Half his asking price seems a bit more accurate, IMO
Pillar of the Community
United States
3248 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is not in a GSA holder, and I was hoping for 63DMPL too because I paid more than 62PL money for it :)

You are going down a slippery slope buying PL or DMPL raw Morgan's from photo. From photo very difficult to tell the difference between semi PL, PL and DMPL. If you want to buy DMPL, try to stick to PCGS holders in the last 5 years and you will get better quality examples. The older holders of NGC and PCGS have inconsistent mirror depth for DMPL.

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple more that show the contrast. I may submit to PCGS, will let y'all know what it gets if I do.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 544Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: