Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Mint Errors? If So What Do You Guys See? (2003 P Quarter)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 307Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mean07gene to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54647 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just damaged coins. Just face value.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/18/2021 7:40 pm
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mean07gene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what about the 2nd pic where it's nice and smooth plus it's missing letters. What could have caused that? That's some perfect damage. But I'm new to this. Thanks tho
Learn More...
United States
21428 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mean, for sure damage as there is no way for the mint to have created a coin that looks that way. Opposing flats on the edge of a coin often times are the result of it being slightly squeezed in a machinist's vise.

The flattened area does look a bit like a cud. Try looking around error-ref.com for a bit as that site has a ton of useful information about errors. Or look at a couple dozen threads in this subforum to start to see what is and isn't an error.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
7575 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see post mint damage. No mint errors here, sorry. What caused this damage? Unless you were there when it happened, your guess is as good as mine. Damage is damage however it is caused. Knowing how coins are minted, I can safely say this damage was not, could not, be caused in the making of this coin. It did not leave the mint looking like this.
ça va bien aller

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mean07gene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday you all said that this is just damage, no error. But after looking online, I know what it is. CUD

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21486 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, those are not cuds, it's post mint damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is 100% not a cud, it is 100% damage..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is NOT a CUD. CUDs don't affect the roundness of the coin. Your picture shows that the edge of the coin has been flattened on the edge, a coin with a CUD is perfectly round and will show no irregularities on the edge.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54647 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also not the roundness and the reeds on the edge are altered from damage. Not a mint error. Damaged in circulation.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mean07gene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how do you explain the raised area that covers part of in god we trust? It would be perfectly round if not for that other damage. I'm still going to get it looked at
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21486 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're completely wasting your time, sorry.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mean07gene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did the face of the coin become FLUSH with the rim like that? Extra material. I don't care if you say I'm waisting my time. Got a store in town
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The experts have already looked at it... not a cud, just post mint damage. Please let us know what they tell you at your store.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't hurt to get a second opinion, but everyone here unanimously agrees that it's damaged, I would bet my life on you not getting a different answer.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: