Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will The U S Mint's Future Bring More Morgan And Peace Dollars? Yes!

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 169 / Views: 3,982Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the Mint operates according to a brief line of computer code: IF (PROFIT = $$$) AND (LEGAL = TRUE) THEN MINT COIN.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, Great site. Thanks BStrauss3, Informative and Noteworthy, Found this verbiage there, " (b) Bulk Sales.--The Secretary may make bulk sales of the coins
issued under this Act at a reasonable discount.
SEC. 7. FINANCIAL ASSURANCES. " I do NOT believe We are getting that Discounted price!!!!!!

Also, " (6) These iconic silver dollars with vastly different
representations of Lady Liberty and the American Eagle, reflect
a changing of the guard in 1921 in the United States and
therefore on the 100th anniversary must begin to be minted again
to commemorate this significant evolution of American freedom." They use the words " to Commemorate ".

Good point , I too wondered why the Coin was NOT a Commemorative !!! It Certainly deserves it !!!!!

I understand it was done " to commemorate ". I thought maybe a Commemorative coin OTHER than the Classic Geo T. MORGAN designed coins, NOT that His coins were not Appreciated ....... Maybe a Commemorative to be ?
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.congress.gov/116/plaws/...6publ286.pdf

Section 3(a) stipulates the 100th anniversary as a key requirement (100th anniversary of the completion of the Morgan dollar and 100th anniversary in the commencement of the coinage of the Peace dollar).

The law does not cover the 101st nor 102nd nor 103rd nor 104th anniversary, so and so forth.

Note all the "shalls". These are requirements for the Secretary of the Treasury.

Another law will be required for the 200th anniversary.

Edited by DrDarryl
10/19/2021 8:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19243 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Modern Morgan and Peace dollars minted after 2021 could well end up being just another bullion alternative, with minimal numismatic premium value. I hope that doesn't happen.

If there is an attractive profit motive for the Mint to continue in this manner, expect them sooner or later to do so. Slick marketing and packaging would help.
If a change to the legislation was needed to this end, and if there is enough pressure behind the Mint to lobby the Government, expect the changes to legislation to happen.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
JBUCK, Did the U S Mint do anything special for the KENNEDY 55th year or ? I thought I saw You remarked about them ?
I do not recall mentioning Kennedy before, but they did have special coins for the 50th in 2014. Nothing for 55th in 2019.

What I did mention is they should have offered some 50th anniversary Ikes this year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see both or either minted for circulation... retire the paper dollar and circulate Morgan's and/or Peace dollars.

I'm a BIG, BIG... advocate for removing real people (politicians) from all circulating US currency. Circulating currency should be artistic and inspiring. This would be a large step toward that outcome...
Edited by BamaBlue
10/20/2021 08:54 am
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... retire the paper dollar and circulate Morgan's and/or Peace dollars.
In our dreams.

I would settle for at least the first part to become true.
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this was discussed in the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars

I had posted

I read this article in Coin World
https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...nnual-series

"Mint Director David J. Ryder raised that possibility during a May 4 Microsoft Teams video conference with numismatic journalists.

The enabling legislation, the 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act, Public Law 116-286, grants the Mint authority to issue additional Morgan and Peace dollars dated 2022 and beyond as an ongoing series."

The Law states:

SEC. 4. DESIGN OF COINS.
(B) an inscription of the year of minting or issuance;
and

"SEC. 5. ISSUANCE OF COINS.
The Secretary may issue coins minted under this Act beginning on January 1, 2021."

The law, 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act, does specify a completion date. In section 4 (B) the wording does not specify 2021 as the only date of mintage.

I read the laws for the State Quarters and the National Site Quarters. The laws specify when the mintage will start and end.

However, with Ryder no longer in charge. It may not be continued.

I would love to see it continue with a proof and reverse proof coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1008 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not mind seeing the Peace dollar continue through 2035.
I would like them to mint about 750 Proof Morgans this year , Just make sure I get one.
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm a BIG, BIG... advocate for removing real people (politicians) from all circulating US currency.

I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once was once too many times. A major fiasco that has turned into a greed fest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, I am mistaken. I was remembering You did speak about a 50th Anniversary, For the IKES not the KENNEDY'S.......

Sorry !!!
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe, Just Maybe, The U S Mint should concentrate on their Lack of Quality Control....................... As Seen by remarks from some of the members HERE......
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like this to be a one and done offering for 2021.

I still haven't received any of my coins. Hopefully none are flying around in the box outside their capsules. :-)
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 169 / Views: 3,982Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: