Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Currency: Bahamas $1 Notes

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,078Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1992 Columbus Commemorative

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1992-1995 Series

The Security Thread referenced above is not readily apparent in the scanned image, but is very obvious when the note is in hand.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! The only thing I noticed was the vertical serial number and then I saw you mentioned in the the write-up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1486 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set of notes so far "commems!" I'm a big fan of this nation's currency for the same reason as you (one of my first gifts after a parental vacation). I will never forget getting my first '50 Cents' note from the 1960's TDLR series (& thinking 'wow, they make a note for change! How cool is that?') I was surprised by the $3 as well & once I saw the designs of the higher denominations, I was hooked.

Nice write up
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@walk2dwater: Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my "show-and-tell."

I agree, the Bahamas does produce some attractive notes. I've occasionally thought about starting a set of the 50-cent notes and/or the $3 notes due to their novel denominations. I've kept it to the $1 notes so far, but who knows where the future will lead?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1996-1997 Series

The watermarks on all Bahamas bank notes are very difficult to see via the images presented here, but, in hand, when held up to the light, are readily visible as described.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3658 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The unusual $3.00 denomination was issued to provide a note with the approximate purchasing power of the previous 1 note.
...TIL.

I suppose that would also explain the 15 cent coins - they would (approximately) correspond to pre-decimalization shillings. I did wonder why Bahamas in particular decided to use this denomination (otherwise almost entirely limited to the Eastern Bloc).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suppose that would also explain the 15 cent coins...

It does!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2001 Series

Note: The reference about QEII's portrait purposely did not include/consider the 1992 Columbus Commemorative note - it referred only to regular-issue notes.

Edited by commems
10/23/2021 07:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11361 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is some serious eye candy in this thread. I have always thought Bahamas notes are some of the best-looking notes out there and now we are treated to the commems experience on them.

My collection currently consists of 2001 and 2019 50 cents notes. Baby steps.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "commems experience." I like it!

Now, if I could only play the guitar and sing, I might have something!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2002 Series

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11361 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems, do you have these notes in an album along with the text block/writeup you are supplying with each?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have these notes in an album along with the text block/write-up you are supplying with each?

@CelticKnot: Actually, no. The text block I am presenting for each note comes from the information card I made up for each note for the coin show exhibit I mounted. The notes are stored in rigid plastic holders, but not yet placed in an album; the printed cards are kept in a separate folder.

Here's a sample of one of the full exhibit cards. Each included a scan of the back of the featured note; I presented the front of each actual note above it.

Edited by commems
10/25/2021 08:03 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,078Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: