Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Currency: Bahamas $1 Notes

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,148Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2008 Series (2005-2009 CRISP Series)

The solid Security Thread referenced above (to the right of "ONE DOLLAR") is not readily apparent in the scanned image, but is very obvious when the note is in hand.

Also, this is the first $1.00 Bahamas note to use two different ink colors for its serial number - black (horizontal) and red (vertical).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/25/2021 5:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CRISP Technologies

The CRISP (Counterfeit Resistant Integrated Security Protocol) was introduced via the Bahamas' $10 note in 2005; each denomination has its own set of distinct CRISP features and first appeared on the $1 denomination via the Series 2008 note (previous post). One of the technology's primary goals was to prevent counterfeiters from taking a lower denomination note and making it a higher denomination (e.g., a $1 note converted into a $10 or $100).

The Central Bank of the Bahamas printed a brochure about the new note at the time of its release to help Bahamians better understand the features of the new notes and to help them identify what would be seen on a genuine note.

CRISP $1 Note Brochure from Central Bank of Bahamas

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/25/2021 08:01 am
Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2015 Series

The solid Security Thread referenced above (to the right of "One Dollar") is not readily apparent in the scanned image, but is very obvious when the note is in hand.

Also, the use of two different ink colors for the note's serial number - black (horizontal) and red (vertical) - continued.

Edited by commems
10/26/2021 06:49 am
Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2017 CRISP Evolution Series

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CRISP Evolution Series

The CRISP Evolution series of Bahamian banknotes is the Central Bank of the Bahamas' next step in its continuing efforts to get/stay ahead of counterfeiters.

As it did with the original CRISP Series banknotes, the Bank released a brochure for each denomination of the CRISP Evolution Series that highlighted the note's security features in order to educate/familiarize the Bahamian people with the new note's features.

CRISP Evolution Series $1 Note Brochure from Central Bank of Bahamas

Edited by commems
10/27/2021 06:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And with the 2017 CRISP Evolution Series note, my brief e-exhibit on the $1.00 Notes of The Bahamas comes to an end. I hope you enjoyed it!

A few words about my collecting experience with these notes...

I purchased notes for this collection at various times over the last 20 or so years. After I got caught up with the early issues, I did my best to "stay current" with new issues as they were issued - by "stay current" I mean purchasing a note within two or three years of its issue date. I would have to call it a casual pursuit!

I very much like my small group of Bahamas $1.00 notes and certainly enjoyed assembling the set. I find the notes to be colorful, attractive and dignified. All of the notes in the collection are crisp uncirculated (CU) and none were particularly expensive; many had a market price of under $10 at the time of my purchase. As I've worked on the set for a good number of years, even the notes that are a bit more expensive in today's marketplace, were relatively low-dollar notes at the time I purchased them. I can honestly say, however, that I never once considered this collection as an "investment" with future market value appreciation - I worked on the set for its connection to my parents and for the pure joy of collecting.

Is the collection a complete set of Bahamas $1 notes? No, there are a couple of signature combinations that I do not have. However, my goal was to assemble a Type Set, and from that perspective I consider the collection complete - though I may "bite the bullet" and add one of the three-signature notes from the 1966 Series (1965 Act).

I look forward to adding new notes to the collection as they are released, and keeping the memory of my long-gone parents and their trip to the Bahamas aboard the SS Oceanic alive in my collecting.

Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fantastic show and fitting tribute to your parents! Thank you for sharing this with us. It was almost as good as seeing the display in person.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck: Thanks for the kind words - always appreciated!

Each of my parents encouraged my early collecting habits, so it's nice to carry on a collection in their memory.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watermarks

When I presented my original, physical exhibit at coin shows, there was one feature of the Bahamas notes that I had wished I could have presented more directly - the watermarks included on them. As I put together this e-exhibit, my previous desires regarding highlighting the watermarks slipped my mind. But I remembered this morning...

So, here we go!

Watermarks have been included on dollar-based notes of the Bahamas since their first issue in 1966. Originally, the notes featured a conch shell watermark in the open field to the right of Queen Elizabeth II's portrait. As the first three notes all shared (essentially) the same overall design, they also shared the conch shell watermark.

1966 Series, 1968 Series, 1974 Series Conch Shell Watermark

With the redesign of the notes after the Act of 1974, the watermark was changed to a Spanish Galleon (possibly a hypothetical ship used by Christopher Columbus), facing left toward the New World; it is seen to the right of Queen Elizabeth II's portrait (the new, more mature portrait of QEII).

1984 Series Spanish Galleon Watermark

Interestingly, the 1992 Columbus commemorative note does not feature a security thread or watermark.

The 1992 Series notes continued the use of the Spanish Galleon; it is again found to the right of Queen Elizabeth II's portrait.

1992 Series Spanish Galleon Watermark

The 1996 Series saw a new, older portrait of Queen Elizabeth II featured, but continued use of the Spanish Galleon watermark.

1996 Series Spanish Galleon Watermark

The 2001 Series notes switched the primary portrait to that of former Bahamas Prime Minister Sir Lynden Oscar Pindling. Pindling served as the Bahamas Prime Minister between May 1969 and August 1992; he is often referred to as the "Father of the Bahamas" due to his efforts on behalf of Bahamian independence (the Bahamas achieved independence on July 10, 1973 - under Pindling's watch). The change in portrait did not, however, result in a change to the use of the Spanish Galleon as the note's watermark.

2001 Series Spanish Galleon Watermark

The Queen's portrait returned for the 2002 Series; the Spanish Galleon watermark remained.

2002 Series Spanish Galleon Watermark

The watermark changed to a portrait of Pindling beginning with the 2008 CRISP Series notes; the watermark portrait on the 2008 CRISP Series and 2015 CRISP Series is a duplicate of the main portrait of Pindling seen on the notes. The full-image of Pindling is seen at the right on the note, the Pindling watermark is found in the open field at the left.

2008 CRISP Series and 2015 CRISP Series Pindling Portrait Watermark

The 2017 CRISP Evolution Series $1 note featured a new portrait of Pindling at the note's right. The new portrait was used for the watermark, which is found at the far upper left corner of the note (to the left of the map of the islands).

2017 CRISP Evolution Series Pindling Portrait Watermark

Note: all positioning references are from the perspective of the viewer looking at the face/front of the note.

Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent addendum!

I think watermarks are the most interesting feature and I really appreciate the banknotes which have them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
& was really happy to see them on our Bank of Canada revised Journey series first appearing in the 2004 $20.00 (Queen's face).

"Interestingly, the 1992 Columbus commemorative note does not feature a security thread or watermark."
- I don't think they would try to put a watermark on such a colourful note. They didn't put one on the original Journey (just gold leaves as a security feature). You need a little white margin or space about the size of a quarter in order for the watermark to be visible. Once they removed the "gold leaves" they used this white space to watermark the revised Journey $5 & $10 (which were rampantly being photocopied at the time).

I posted a few ships I found in earlier notes from Bahamas. First we see them in 1919 George V issue, then the George VI 1936 issue & with QEII (P-13b) as seen here with this 4 shillings:

I also noted the ship motif used several times in later versions throughout the note (not just the watermark):

on the $3 (P-19a):

in the Coat of Arms on the reverse of P-43 $1.00

& in the design (P-42 FIFTY CENTS):

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think they would try to put a watermark on such a colourful note

I don't understand this comment.

I'm very curious - How does the "colourful-ness" of a given note impact whether a watermark can/should be included on it? I'd enjoy learning more about your factual basis for this view as it runs counter to what I've been told. I'm always looking to learn!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm very curious - How does the "colourful-ness" of a given note impact whether a watermark can/should be included on it? I'd enjoy learning more about your factual basis for this view as it runs counter to what I've been told.

It would not just be the colour to consider for the 1992 Columbus note, but the design as well (I believe). The comment was based on opinion/observations (not necessarily factual). If you look at the 1992 QEII note you'll see that the watermark has been placed in light patches of no (or little) ink/no design (& this pattern continues until the Pindling notes). No design elements on either side so they're easily visible. The design on the 92' commemorative is busy on the back side (birds, etc) on the one area where a watermark may have been suitable. We don't see watermarks on the colourful areas until 16 years later (2008 crisp series).
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: