Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1876-S 50c Grade Request

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 195Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  11:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10845 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55. I think surface preservation might be a hair short of 58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62662 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 sounds right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.surface preservation

Please elaborate upon what you mean by this. Is this a process that you are suggesting me to do? And if so, how should I do this?

It should be noted that if you look at the coin as a piece of pie, from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock back to the center of the coin all of that area Within that piece of pie looks whizzed but the device in that piece of pie does not have whiz marks.

If you say it looks like a 55, would the slab come back 55 genuine details?
The camera did not sufficiently pick up those fine lines.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10845 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
surface preservation is a component in grading, it does not refer to anything you would do to the coin. surface preservation includes the presence of bagmarks, hairlines from cleaning or mishandling, and any other imperfections of planchet, whether mint caused or man made. An analysis of surface preservation attempts to evaluate the Visual Impact of these imperfections based on their degree of severity and their location on the coin.

when referring to positions on the coin the easiest way to describe them is use the prefix K followed by the clock hand. your 3 oclock to 6 oclock would be easier referred to as K3 to K6

this coin imo would grade straight. there is no sign that I can see that the coin was cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...there is no sign that I can see that the coin was cleaned

When I get some time, I'll redo the obv photo with the highest clarity to emphasize the hairlines' severity.

Readers may then alter their opinions if they see fit.

Stand by
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 195Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: