Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Mark Varieties For Jefferson Nickels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  12:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So what I like to do prior to going out to my local haunts to shop for coins I refer to the Vista Varieties site and pick one or two types of varieties to look for. Nickles are the current flavor here. During my most recent pick I found 2 of the Scarce 1941 S Trumpet Tail type. This MM is common for the 1946-49 & 1951-52 Jefferson's.

So returning home and reviewing the latest acquisitions to the Nickle book I have it looks like (and this leads into this post) I might be in be possession of an MM variety?
So the 1952 Jefferson normal MM is the Trumpet Tail type.
However I need all and the nickle experts to weigh in.

Pics of my 1952 S Nickle ,Type 1953,1954?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice finds! I look forward to seeing what the experts say about the 52S. Did you check your 41S trumpet tails for what die they are? There look to be 16 known dies and some are paired with RPM's or doubled dies. Here is the link. Just click on the far right button to go through the different dies.

http://www.varietyvista.com/04a%20J...MMS00201.htm

-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1941 is the large 'S' mintmark:

Two different mintmark styles were used that year. When you see them side by side, then you can see the size differences.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/19/2021 12:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1005 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop, let's start with the 41S. So your edited post shows TWO mm styles for this year now and I know now that I'm not crazy, after reading the original post. . This being said, is the OP's find not a good one? Maybe not super rare but a "scarce" variety, as VV put's it, to go with the link I added originally, showing the FS#'s to go along with the different dies. Here is also a link from cointalk that lays it out. I just didn't want the OP to think they had found nothing special, which from what I can tell, they have found a nice variety, maybe even nicer, depending on which die they have.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/va...-501.213511/

Secondly, I was with the OP on the 52S being a different mm style but you showed me otherwise, thanks. I really saw a ball serif on the OP's coin but after studying on it, I can see how the trumpet mm could be ground down to look like it does. Thanks again and my pic depictions do not compare to yours but here they are anyway.

-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
10/19/2021 8:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop and Makesense, Thanks for the breakdown and graphics. Due to the blinders I had on during research on this topic. So reviewing the Red Book a large and small date are indeed call out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes you end up with egg on your face, and other times you duck.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop , in response to the harsh photo post let's get something straight. I am a much better looking man than the Ham and Egger you have included on to the post. All in fun and the knowledge that comes from these questions is appreciated.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: