Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eisenhower Dollars From The Bank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 464Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
324 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  01:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I called up my bank and asked if they could order Large Dollar coins for me. The woman knew what I was referring to and was very nice and talkative. Unfortunately she said on the order form she cannot choose what type of dollar coins to order, large or small.

Can anyone still order Ikes? I believe I read a post here awhile ago stating what order # they are to distinguish but I cannot find the thread. Help me out CCF
Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also love to order large dollar coins if possible; I am pretty sure that there is a thread about searching Eisenhower dollars, and someone on that thread orders them by the bag.

http://goccf.com/t/240596&whichpage=54
Learn More...
United States
106604 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not tried, but good luck with your endeavour. I always appreciate seeing an appetite for Ikes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16206 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys have to realize that banks aren't coin shops . You can't just go there and ask for rolls of Ike dollars , Susan B.Anthony's or Sacagawea dollars . However if the banks have a couple of coins in their draws they will let you have them . I do not work in a bank nor have I ever worked in a bank , just voicing my opinion .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
106604 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True, they are a business first. If they say no, just say thank you and move along.
Learn More...
Australia
13928 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To banks, and to the armoured car companies that work for them, money is fungible - it is entirely irrelevant what form the money is in, whether it be $1 coins or $1 notes. They might choose to provide a customer service in dispensing large quantities of specific denominations of coins or notes, as it is reasonable for businesses to want to provide change for cash transactions, but they are under no legal or moral obligation to do so. Specifying the type of monetary object of each denomination would be an unreasonable and unnecessary complication in their logistics.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You all make good points. Wells used to specifically order Ikes for me all the time just a few years ago. I wonder what changed..
Learn More...
United States
106604 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder what changed..
Many things. Availability could be one, willingness (or authorization) to make an extra effort another.

It was a good ride. Feed off the memories.
34 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robby Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regulations changed. It used to be that certain banks that subscribed directly to the Fed cash network ("Fed Net") could order bags of Ikes and have their armored car service deliver them from the local Fed warehousing facility. Around 2 years ago, the regs changed so that only armored car companies can order and take delivery of coin on behalf of banks. The armor car companies won't order or deal with Ikes because they don't circulate. Only SBA and gold dollars circulate.

Its too bad because every so often I'd be able to get bags of Ikes to search. Unfortunately I didn't have nearly as much good luck as some others in getting silver from them.
Learn More...
United States
106604 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which means whatever Ikes remain in Fed warehouses are stuck there until... ? Who knows, maybe 100 years from now the GSA will sell them like they did the CC Morgans.
Learn More...
United States
106604 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who knows, maybe 100 years from now the GSA will sell them like they did the CC Morgan
Oh, that sounds interesting.

Maybe they will realize that would be too much work and offer them by the bag for a (small) premium like they do for halves and baby dollars now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely bags as Ikes contain zero or no silver and Most years are common.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: