Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This An Error? Missing Or Light Number M (1946 S Cent)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 253Next Topic  
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  02:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So is this an error or just rubbed off.? Actully appears stronger in my bad photo... naked eye can bairly see its outline(mint and last part of date) for some reason I want to say I have 2 or 3 of them though

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a tad confused at to what you are referring to on the coin.

However, it does appear that this 1946-S cent has been harshly cleaned and scrubbed. Perhaps Pareidolia.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What? So you dont think the 46 and the s are way softer? Instead insinuate I see crap or am crazy? Or what ever that was ment to be taken as. Hmm except the problem is I'm not seeing it... and I take what you said as an insult. haha ok what ever you say man.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3120 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not entirely for sure why you are getting offended. Pareidolia is a thing we all see in day to day lives. Didn't mean anything by it, we just sometimes tend to see patterns in things that aren't there, it's human nature.

The 1946 along with the MM is softer because of either the cleaning/scrubbing of the coin, or the devices for that die were weaker in that area when the coin was struck.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41994 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off Jamcoin,chill. What I am seeing is either a tapered die of maybe a minor Struck Through Grease issue.Also,work on cutting the glare from your photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5951 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '46 S Wheat cent is known for having a relatively weak 6 in the date. Over time spent in circulation, that 6 becomes weaker. I have a tub full of circulated '46 S wheat cents, and I'd estimate that 70% have a weak 6 like yours.

And, the mint mark can often be weak as well.
Edited by ijn1944
10/19/2021 07:26 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But there was a weakness on the '46' that year. I've seen examples that show weakness like this and the mintmark was stronger. So I feel that this coin may have been cleaned, but the '46' was also weak. The '19' on the date was from the master hub, then added the last two digits until 1983.

Did a bit of looking on this subject. I found something interesting. Looks like there was a weakness issue on that year, but not exactly what I figured. It appears that one of the working hub was polished.

The polishing seems the same on each example, but the minmarks are in different locations, so they are not from the same die. Also note the date is affected, but the mintmarks are strong. So they I concluded it was a working hub that was to blame. Not polished dies. Just looking a bit deeper we learn something new for today.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/19/2021 1:54 pm
Valued Member
56 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I think I get it, the 46 is in fact weaker, but that's common in 46, also I agree in the point that it has probably been cleaned. That a how it came in this random roll of wheaties I was looking at. Thank you guys
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: