Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Lincoln Cent Doubled Die Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
123 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Did they change seriffs on the cent or is there something wrong with the lettering and date on this new cent .thanks for looking

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like Die Deterioration and lighting issues. A serif, usually refers to the ends of a mm. I think what you may be thinking of is the font and as far as I know, it did not change.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62720 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These new shiny Lincoln Shield Cents are notorious for looking like, and showing, something that is not there. Especially when using a microscope which I believe is what your pics were taken from. If you look at the same coin through a quality 10x triplet lens loupe I can just about promise you that you will see a different perspective of you coin. Your pictures and what you are seeing are 100% a result of lighting issues and glare.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1563 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bad LIGHTING and the scope it to close to the coin. I get this a lot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7507 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighting glare is very problematic for these new cents. Try using a diffused light source.

Always show us photos of the entire coin, side sides. Thanks.
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54571 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the devices are reduced in size, so this is Machine Doubling. The reflection from the flat surfaces is another clue. Also DDD affects the fields, not the devices.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To makeceNTS a serif dosent only refer to the MM IT IS ANY ENDING TO any font or number with feet or the fancyness of a fonts leg so things like this just confuse people and why wouldnt anyone else comment on that statement to help set things right anyways what if it really does look like that without lighting issues then what would we be looking at still Machine Doubling or die deteriation or would we be looking at something else thanks for looking
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tooboocoo,

You are correct about what a serif is. Yes, I noticed, but I did not have time to comment, plus I usually try to figure out where a misconception or difference in perspective originates.

Consider a Wheat cent. Where is the only place, if any, you would find serifs? And on on the shield cents, sans-serif typefaces are used for most of the letters on them, so mentioning differences in font is a broader net, so to speak.

Even if you do have something of interest, lighting can make or break you. Have you thought about buying some relatively inexpensive, but correctly attributed, doubled dies so that you can test your set up? For my less experienced self, poor lighting, I have found, can make it hard to see good stuff just as much as creating images that aren't real. I believe I have hit the point where I can recognize some of the stronger/better varieties from MD, but I really need to work harder on arranging a dedicated spot for studying the coins. It is a weakness of mine. I prefer to use tools, not study or work on the tool itself, but that is biting me in the behind right now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First- it's usually a great idea to include full obverse and full reverse images. (It helps us to see the forest and the tree.)
Glare and less than clear images make it difficult to easily see what's going on.

Second- IMHO, the 0 of the date looks like a football to me which is a good indicator on modern shield cents that there is true doubling. It also looks like the top and bottom of the 2 have notching as well.
This is part of the reason for requesting clear, full obverse images.

(EDIT-Forgot to include an image.)

On the reverse, the base of STATES seems thicker than normal. Can you provide a clear image of the designer's initials as well?

Thanks and look forward to the images.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
10/23/2021 2:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just FYI here. To clear up any discrepancy as to the meaning of SERIF, here is the copy and pasted definition of the word serif from Merriam Websters. I too believe that a serif comprises any start or end of a letter, not only mint marks. I have used the term "split serif" in describing doubled die letters my entire life both obverse and reverse. It is amazing to me that none of the major TPG's have the definition of "serif" listed in any of their glossaries. Very odd.

Definition of serif
: any of the short lines stemming from and at an angle to the upper and lower ends of the strokes of a letter
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: