Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Fifty Cent Mintages Aren't So Low Anymore

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 493Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  02:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After taking a peek at the 2020/21 RAM annual report the total mintages of the 2019 fifty cent coins now stand at:

JC - 880,000 (up from 70,000)
IRB - 1,050,000 (up from 240,000)
Indigenous Languages - 3,698,000 (up from 2,078,000)

And these are just the figures for coins minted for circulation (i.e. excludes all the RAM rolls and bags minted for dealers/collectors)

Hope no members of this forum got burned by paying too much for what they thought was an extremely low mintage coin.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
704 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the 2019/20 RAM annual report 90.000 2020-dated IRB 50c were minted. Strange.
Valued Member
Australia
145 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Machin

880,000 JC and 1,050,000 IRB 2019 50c ? Very low mintage for 50c coins, so there's a reasonable chance that these figures will be further updated sometime in the future as was the case for some of the 2018 mintage figures updated in the 2019/2020 RAM Annual Report.

As I understand it, these would/could be the ( final ?) mintage figures for 2019 prior to the coins being put into the RAM UNC mint sets, rolls and bags, etc.

redlock

the 2019/2020 RAM Annual Report only has the mintage figures up to June 30 2019. The RAM kept minting coins for 2019 until they started minting coins for 2020, usually from the end of August/early September, or thereabouts, so all the coins for 2019 minted after June 30 get included in the 2020/2021 RAM Annual Report.

These are unprecedented times for the RAM with far too many $2 and other mostly nice, though insignificant, coins being minted.

With this massive overload of too many interest diminishing varieties of coins being minted by the RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if the RAM struggles to give us accurate final mintage figures for a while.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1137 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still low enough for me to keep a few bags for myself I think it was reasonable price. Note 1985 coins 50c are bought regularly yet you can get mint sets. aleast it was a bit after the hype that it would only be 80k which I though was almost impossible as RAM doesn't just make a single die for and of the circulation coins. They were going for 400 dollar a bag but that was when it first came out. But I just think of the Stock market and then I'm not to worried about the speculation it's all relative.
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
880,000 JC and 1,050,000 IRB 2019 50c ? Very low mintage for 50c coins

That's a huge increase from 70,000 JC and 240,000 IRB

RAM website seemed to indicate 2018 and 2019 mintage figures where complete (no asterisks after the figures like the incomplete 2020 figure).

Who's to say they won't mint more 2019 dated coins in 2022, given that another 990,000 2018 50c coins were minted in 2020/21 taking total 2018 mintage to 4.69 million
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still minting 2018 coins? Why don't they knock up a few more 1930 pennies while they're at it?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3185 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My ones came as trade, so I think I can absorb the shock of this news!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
704 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the 2019/2020 RAM Annual Report only has the mintage figures up to June 30 2019. The RAM kept minting coins for 2019 until they started minting coins for 2020, usually from the end of August/early September, or thereabouts, so all the coins for 2019 minted after June 30 get included in the 2020/2021 RAM Annual Report.

Okay. But why mint 2020-dated 50c with the IRB portrait?
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
redlock, I see why you are confused. It must be a misprint in the 2019/20 annual report because they also reckon the 2020 mob of roos are IRB.

If you look above where I pasted from the RAM website they have the 90,000 fifty cents from 2020 listed as JC which is more believable.

2019 is the last year of the IRB effigy.
Edited by MachinMachinMan
10/21/2021 06:29 am
Valued Member
Australia
145 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Unfortunately,the person/people who are responsible for compiling and then writing up the RAM Annual Report's details of the yearly coin production aren't altogether ofay with what they are doing. Their " brain " gets severely jumbled after having to write up all the useless monotonous volumes of back slapping self congratulating nonsense you have to read and leaf through for some 50 boring sleep evoking pages of diatribe in their Annual Reports before you can eventually get to the fine print pages showing the information we're after - the yearly coin mintages.

Am I a bit over the top with what I wrote above ?

I'm sure I'm not alone by saying I've emailed and rang the RAM many times over the years regarding the inaccuracy and incorrect details of the mintage figures of many of the coins on their site.

A 1992 Mob of Roos $1 ? There weren't any 20c Platypus ( especially in 1995), 50c ,etc, coins minted in certain years ? But, the usual reply from their unsober PR person " thank you, we'll fix that up ASAP ".

However, in recent years the RAM's coin mintage figures and details have, thankfully, improved and can be a little more relied upon. This is where the awareness of the ( final ) mintsge figures for eg. 2018 can, within reason, be reliably found in the RAM's 2019/2020 Annual Report.

I think someone from the RAM keeps an eye on this great site - so good on them for the improvements they have made in their all important recent Annual Reports.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19262 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 2019 JC 50 Cents.
On my estimation, 3 or 4 die pairs would be needed to produce 880,000 coins. (Scarce, but certainly not rare.)
I suspect that no more will be produced. It is very unusual (but still possible), to extend the production of a single dated coin over more than three Report periods.

The reason why 2020 dated coins with IRB portrait were produced in the period Jan-Jun 2021 (2nd half of 2020-21 Financial Year), is that unused or under used dies were used, rather than dispose of perfectly useable dies.

Very unusual, but nevertheless still possible, is that 2020 dated coins could still be produced with under used or unused dies as late as Jan-June 2022. That is the sort of thing that happened with the 2019 JC/COA 50 Cents, with most of the production occurring in Jan-June 2021.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
704 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2019 is the last year of the IRB effigy.

After reading this part in the 2020/21 annual report I am not sure whether that's true.

Quote:
At the start of the pandemic, when communities were locking down and businesses ceasing trading, the use of cash in the community was expected to decrease significantly. In response, the Mint expected to rationalise production of circulating coins throughout 2020-21 and looked at redeploying resources to other areas; including making staff available to Services Australia to assist in the delivery of new government programs.

Surprisingly the Mint experienced an increase in the demand for circulating coins throughout the Australian economy - and not by a small amount. Whilst cash transactions had decreased due to COVID-19, coins were being withdrawn at a rapid rate which required an increased demand for coins by the banks. This suggested hoarding by the Australian public; given the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 and the impact on livelihoods.
The Mint's experience with coins was consistent with the Reserve Bank of Australia and the increased demand for banknotes.

Due to the unexpected demand for circulating coins, the Mint increased production of all six denominations of circulating coins - even the 5c coin was in high demand. The Mint went to double shifts for a period of time to build inventory to ensure that orders from the banks could be met, with volumes particularly strong over the first six months. Over the twelve month period, the Mint exceeded budget for circulating coin sales by $42m (105%).

Who knows what went on when they went to double shifts.
Perhaps, they were so ''desperate'' to mint coins quickly that they used dies with IRB's portrait which were under used or unused.
I think the topic of IRB 50c and $1 coins dated 2020 will keep collectors curious for some time. I know I will be.

Edited by redlock
10/21/2021 2:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not alone by saying I've emailed and rang the RAM many times over the years regarding the inaccuracy and incorrect details of the mintage figures of many of the coins on their site.

Yes,it goes back a long way,Dealers that started their Business's in the 1930's were one voice with official Mintage numbers,guide only,not to be interpreted as fact.
The Sydney Mint in its final years was a shambles,corruption and careless/slack record keeping.
Melbourne Mint wasn't much better with records but lacked the criminal activity of the Sydney Mint.
Anyway a hundred years later its only hearsay for reseachers to comment on.
The RAM cleaned up their act after the 1990's $2 scandal and ditto in Perth when the Gold swindle shone the spotlight on them.
In this day of computers and CCC monitoring you would think they could get the Mintage figures accurate.
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps, they were so ''desperate'' to mint coins quickly that they used dies with IRB's portrait which were under used or unused.

The date is on the obverse. The only way there can be an IRB dated 2020 is if they produced a brand new die with 2020 on it.

They did reuse both 2019 obverse dies by minting another 810,000 IRB and JC fifty cent coins this year.

Pillar of the Community
Germany
704 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The date is on the obverse. The only way there can be an IRB dated 2020 is if they produced a brand new die with 2020 on it.

True
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2021  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By my calculations, the 2020 fifty cent is now standing as our lowest mintage circulating 50c coin at a current figure of 90,000 + 630,000 = 720,000.

2021 50c mintage figure already stands at 1.44 million.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 493Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: