Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 D Quarter Hole Strange Ridges

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 323Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  05:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ideal4u10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Edited by Ideal4u10
10/21/2021 02:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41961 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Your coin has PMD=post mint damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12579 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Definitely damage and a spender.
There is no way for that to happen when the coin was struck
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ideal4u10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey. It lead me here. & now I have more of an appreciation for coins & collectors. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5932 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, post-strike damage. You could save it as an interesting find.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41961 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey. It lead me here. & now I have more of an appreciation for coins & collectors

That's true, Stick around and read a bunch of posts and you will be hooked in no time
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62916 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deliberate damage.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ideal4u10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe someone was extracting the material and scratching the edges for the material for a cumulative profit. I know a coin like this shouldn't be in circulation. Just wondering if it has any novelty interest. Almost like something that could be in a museum or recalled or displayed or studied in some type of way that would depict how hard up people were for whatever the metal of which this coin is comprised. I don't know anything about coins but I am sure this was an attempt to garnish the missing metal for future collective profit.
Edited by Ideal4u10
10/20/2021 12:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54647 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a damaged coin. Post strike damage. (Someone bored)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ideal4u10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't say if it's arbitrary or not. If you were messing w. a coin for kicks would someone have the common sense to no longer try & pass it off?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7570 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe someone was extracting the material and scratching the edges for the material for a cumulative profit.

Not with a 1983 quarter. wat would be the point? There is no silver in it. I agree this is intentional post mint damage, not a mint error of any sort. Keep searching!

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
4231 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the marks at the opt by liberty on the rim and again at the bottom by the 8 tells me that this coin was held by pliers or channel lock pliers then the center was punched out from the reverse. (to me the coin looks a little concave curving up on the obverse side). Can you post up a picture of the reverse to confirm or disprove my thoughts?
Edited by Dearborn
10/20/2021 7:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn you are right with the pliers, but I think it was drilled. And as Merc says no point in trying to shave off copper and nickel. Probably not 5 cents worth of metal in the whole quarter. And as far as passing it off, I think the law is you can do anything you want to do to U.S. coins, as long as you don't counterfeit them. And you can't sell 1 and 5 cents for bullion.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: