Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 D Jefferson Nickel Woodie?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 268Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  5:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rosalita to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

I have this 1986 D Jefferson nickel and would like to know if this is an improper alloy mix, woody? I see the lines on both the Obverse and Reverse.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not look like a woody to me, lets wait for the pros to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4116 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62783 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, roller lines.
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I mis-remembering, or does it seem like roller lines seem to occur mostly on copper cents? Maybe that is just because of this coin being what most folks are posting here regardless of the specific issue.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5894 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question... Can you feel a slight texture to the linear features (on the reverse) if you run a finger tip across them at 90 degrees, or if you gently run a toothpick across them? The reverse photo seems to suggest some texture/relief.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Feeder finger/roller damage can occur on any denomination of modern coins. I am inclined to believe that this is a result of such regarding the op's coin. Woody's will only occur on copper Cents due to the composition of the alloys present in bronze Cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7521 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bumpkin, "Woodies" only occur in copper cents. All (US) coins are subject to possible feeder damage considering how coins are produced.
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the anomaly appears to not affect IGWT but does Tom's nose, which makes me think Feeder Finger Damage, but I've never seen FF damage that looks like this on a nickel, interesting one
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct me if I am thinking wrong: Woodies are what we refer to as an alloy mixing error on copper cents, but it is really an alloy mixing error that could have happened on a nickel. If on a nickel, we just would not call it a woody, but an alloy mixing error?
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd expect evidence of poor alloy mixing could appear on any coin that consists of more than one metal, as most coins do, including the nickel. For some reason we see the effects on LWCs more than on other coins. I can't recall seeing a nickel with a woody effect, and I've looked at many nickels, but obviously that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1588 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say roller lines most likely, however with the amount of wear, I can't rule out it being some form of intentional damage either and done well after the strike.

if improper alloy mix, it would show streaking or blob like inclusions of pure copper, pure manganese, or pure nickel, as the nickel coin is a Cupro-nickel alloy. it happens, but this isn't what it would look like.

the "woodie" cents do what they do because it's a short distance between brass and bronze and copper, and hard to tell on the fresh alloy but they all tone at different rates. Nickels are CuNi alloy, if alloyed correctly its all melted and blended and uniform. If improperly alloyed, it usually manifests as "blotches" of inclusions of pure metal that didn't blend instead of different toning speed streaks like the cent does.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41895 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are e few "woody" nickels from the 35% silver ones, isn't there?.
John1
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: