Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Pics Of 1956-D RPM#1 LDS With Bie

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 638Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42002 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You mean I missed out on a bargain?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
CCF Advertiser
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EScottCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi friends,

First...I love that there are collectors here that enjoy and value these types of numismatic rarities. It's fun to have a place to share!

I decided to post quickie images of the pair I have available. One of which is (to me) extra interesting.

Here's the first (nothing special but a nice circulated example):

Here's the second and more interesting. The BIE exhibits a strike through...and I can't help but wonder if this strike through is associated with the happening of the BIE die break? Interesting.

Thanks for the fun in sharing, happy collecting!

E. J.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54662 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that die got worser/worstest. LOL Changing the shape of that area. Thus years ago when they realized that BIEs were progressive, collectors lost interest in them. Now the revival is happening again, and seeing for now, it is still progressing. (for how long though?)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
CCF Advertiser
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EScottCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop,

Love the use of the word "worser"! That made me smile.

I ponder;

Tthe die chip to create the BIE went somewhere when it detached from the die. To my knowledge there are no partial BIE's so I "assume" (not saying I'm right) the chip happened in one piece or very close to it. I can't help but wonder if the strike through on my coin was created by the chip?

Anyway, just something to ponder.

E. J.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins, and I do suppose the die chip went somewhere and there is a chance your struck through is it. Neat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3397 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, there are many partial BIEs listed. As @coop says, they are "progressive", and they seem to start with a crack, then break before any chips are broken out.

I have made some animations of a couple of these progressions. In one, the BIE starts with a partial on the lower side, then expands to a full BIE. In the other, it appears the BIE starts with some cracks, but then the whole thing breaks out. I've been searching for a stage of this one where only part is broken out but have never found nor seen one. See the animations here:

http://www.macrocoins.com/progressions.html
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
1553 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting errors and varieties for about a decade now and didn't realize that this variety was a thing. Thanks for bringing it to me attention. I looked through my 56-D RPM's and found this one. A bit beat up, but one none-the-less...

Pillar of the Community
United States
3397 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example @Sudz. There are many examples of BIEs in the Lincoln series. Many are documented at the Cuds on Coins website, see here:

http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-bies/
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
CCF Advertiser
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EScottCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies, to rephrase more clearly: No partial BIE's on 1956-D Lincoln cents (the item of topic).

Also, the "In the other, it appears the BIE starts with some cracks, but then the whole thing breaks out." supports my suspicion of the strike through. Thank you rmpsrpms for that! Appreciate the opinion.

E. J.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54662 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well most of the examples I've seen don't have the BIE. So I feel it happen in the later die states, like the LDS/VLDS.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is stage-H on VV, VLDS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4269 Posts
CCF Advertiser
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EScottCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected!

Thanks to rmpsrpms and his posting of cuds-on-coins.com I see there are, in fact, known 56-D's with partial BIE cuds.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

E. J.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow on the pics!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 638Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: