Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time Bidding On Ebay

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,590Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I decided to make some random coin purchases on ebay,I have never bought anything before. I may have over paid a little bit but I wanted to add some silver to my collection and due to the small Canadian market most of the coins are fairly cheap. I won on 2 50 coins 1916 and 1920, I can't really tell the grades from the photos but look like ok shape. I paid 13 and 14$ for them and a 1988 cent paid 4.50 and a 1959 dollar for 24$.

Once the coins arrive I will post some photos but I can post the links from ebay if you would like.

Based on those prices would you say I got a good deal? I wouldn't say grossly over paid but mayb slightly? What do you think. Also I'm hoping the coins actually arrive lol not sure how reliable the people are

Edit: all prices I listed were after shipping.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/21/2021 10:53 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62662 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'd need pics to evaluate how well you did.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a screenshot of the listings, doubt you can judge by them though lol

I'm fine if I over paid a little, but if I should have paid half these prices I would be a little upset lol..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12517 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might have overpaid a bit the the Vickie, it looks like it might have some corrosion.
The others I think you did OK on, especially the 50 cent pieces.
The Silver Dollar has over $18.00 worth of silver to start.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I'll post the coins when in hand. There was more 50 pieces but I noticed them all with about 6 minutes left and didn't get a chance to bid on them. The 50 I did get were last second bids, I'm hoping they are in decent shape, and not super rough cleaning but I guess that's part of the fun, I figured if I'm going to be holding onto all my coins for the next 20-30 years for my son then I might as well get some silver. The 1 cent I figured I over paid a little it does seem to have damage. I just wanted at least 1 large cent:p I'll probably but some more before these arrive.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12517 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One good thing about collecting silver coins, no matter how bad they are damaged, they will always be worth the silver content.
That is one of the reasons about 90% of my collection are silver coins.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True at least with all silver it's a safer investment. If I'm lucky some of the coins are worth more then melt value, I have my fingers crossed for the 50 pieces. There prices seem to fluctuate ALOT based on grade, the 1916 has a ding on the rim I can see so not sure if there is a lot of damage or not.

Guess I'll have to wait and see what the condition is like when they get here:) I'll post an update on these when they get here.

Edit:just noticed that this was your 12,000th post JimmyD congrats!! Maybe one day you will catch up to Jbuck:p

Update all the silver coins have been shipped, that was really fast, the large cent I won yesterday still has not shipped. Also I noticed some adds say exact coin other don't so hopefully I dont get 2 50 coin that you can't even make out any details. The coins posted look in decent condition so I will have to wait and see, says latest date is November second.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/21/2021 2:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12517 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edit:just noticed that this was your 12,000th post JimmyD congrats!! Maybe one day you will catch up to Jbuck:p

Thanks, I didn't notice that. I figure at my present rate of 4.5 posts per day and if Jbuck stopped posting, I would catch up to him in 60 years
Learn More...
Canada
9947 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might try and put together a collection of dollar coins and 50 coins, it will cost me but seems a bit of a safe investment. I think most of them are affordable except for like 1921 50 piece.

I think it's rare to find a really circulated silver dollar,I imagine no one used them much due to there huge size lol, I couldn't imagine carrying5-10 silver dollars around, would weigh a lot in the pocket. I put a bit of extra money this month aside to try getting some coins on ebay and 1 or two albums for my nickels and pennies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4017 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just remember that the .6 troy oz per face dollar is for coins with no wear, so each 50 cent would be 0.3 oz if no wear.. Heavily worn coins will be quite a bit less. Don't forget to include the tax you pay for Ebay items when figuring what you have into them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always I appreciate the info okiecoiner. I don't ever plan on selling these coins just putting together something to leave to my son. Do I pay taxes on these purchases? I already paid for them all so the prices in the pictures are combined shipping, I'm also not collecting them for silver value, that is just security on the purchase to me. I know the 50 pieces are low mintage(or lowish) so if they are in F+ condition I think it was a good deal, the penny was overpaid but it was the cheapest one that I could bid last minute on:p

I figured I do roll hunting for free and if I have a little extra cash I would give "cherry picking" a shot. The dollar coin was the biggest purchase and probably a loss but I'll have my very own silver dollar:p I think all in all for my first purchases I did ok.

I posted this to see how I did because when it comes to coins you won't find in circulation I have little knowledge. These coins are fairly low mintages and I did not pay too much above silver value.

Edit: just notices 1916 50 is .925 silver the 1920 is .800 silver.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/21/2021 10:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decided to take a risk a purchased a 1914 50, not sure if it was worth it for 35$ but I want to complete the set from those years to start

Can't seem to get a view of the reserve but it looks a bit nicer then the obverse

I'm a little worried about this one due to the buy it now option and fairly cheap price for this year I'm sure there will be something wrong with the coin though lol.

Is there a lot of fakes for the old 50 coins? They do come with a 30 day return policy.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/22/2021 12:09 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9947 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want lower grade, problem-free coins, you would get coins like that a lot cheaper, by visiting coin shops and ask to pick through their "melt bucket". You'll pay only a small premium over spot.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP, ya I have been meaning to go to the local coin shop in my area, there hours kind of match my working hours so it's been hard to find time. I'm just trying to fill some slots so I should try doing it through a coin shop rather then ebay. I'm sure some coins can be a good deal on ebay, but I know much less about older coins then more common ones. I should order some of the newer silver coins because these are all just going to be sitting around for 20 years so hopefully silver prices don't dive much in that time.

I have noticed most 1$ coins are basically worth melt value even in AU+ states 50 coins seem to be a better bet for getting close to melt cost. I enjoy having some low mintage coins so hopefully when I pass these on they are worth close to what I laid at least:p I just kind of went on a mini spending spree since I had never purchased a coin
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,590Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: