Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time Bidding On Ebay

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,669Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4869 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a reason why low grade 100 year old common date silver coins are selling for around melt value, 20 years from now they would only be worth melt. A very nice old timer collector gave me some really great advice as I started to collect, save your money and buy the best grade you can afford and stay away from common dates. Shows will be opening soon, you will be surprise of what you can buy high graded coins from some dealers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should stay away from Ebay unless you have your heart set on it. I think that you paid too much for all the items that you have gotten so far. As SPP says, wait until the shows start again. Then join the Hamilton coin club. Each meeting has a short auction where you are bidding against only 1 or 2 people. Also, members bring their old items to sell at a few tables that are set up. For silver, you will be paying not much more than spot, sometimes less
Edited by okiecoiner
10/22/2021 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I will take your advice and any extra money from now on I will put aside for the coin shows.

I kind of just got excited that I managed to save some money this month, worker the holiday and 2 extra weekend overtime shifts so I could actually buy some stuff but got carried away:p I still ha e a little bit put aside from my extra work so I'm going to start a coin fund for higher grade coins. I can't wait to attend my first coin show:D
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my local coin shop does not have a "melt bucket" it is only sold in whole rolls if I want non graded(they grade there own coins) I can't afford to but a 200$ roll not knowing what is in it, they had a giant books and we're constantly looking through there inventory to either put in the melt rolls or to slab and ask for 4-20× melt value.

Edit is the price guide in the 70th Charlton outdated? Even the lowest grade 1914 says 60$ so I figured a decent but if for half that.

Edit just got a text from my fiance and 2 packages arrived for me today so I'll post what I got and prices paid to see if I got a decent deal.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/25/2021 3:13 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9957 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is your local coin shop? That is almost unheard of.

What city are you in? The members here can guide you to local shops.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it was imperial coins and stamps, Hamilton Ontario. I don't drive so I'm not sure if there is one within my limits, at least not less then a couple hours away via public transportation. They may have had some good deals but as my grading skills are still not great #363; is hard to judge. From what I could see it was they were self grading then charging based of the grades they assigned(which is why I stuck to the dollar bin) I have a car but have yet to be able to book a driving test for my G2.

Edit: is it normal to be taxed on coin purchases.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/25/2021 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from this, it still has been cheaper then ebay for basic coins, so I can't really speak bad of them since it's the only coin shop I have been to. I'm on my way home now. I'm not sure if the coins that arrived are some of the 50¢ pieces I ordered on ebay but hopefully I didn't overpay, seemed like a good deal based on the current info I have. I'm hoping the coins are at least as nice as they looked in the photos. I'll post tonight hopefully asking for opinions on the purchases.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4085 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it normal to be taxed on coin purchases, YOU asked .
In Canada yes absolutely , if you are buying from a LEGITIMATE
REGISTERED DEALER . Doesn't matter if it is on line or Bricks and Mortar
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pacificoin, thanks I was not sure but figured it seemed right as dealers pay taxes on sales. Was a slight random question on top of this thread. I'm new to buying coins so I didn't know. I have a friend that buys gold In chip away bricks because after a specific amount he has to lay taxes if he sells gold(only what I was told) I dont think he sells anything just hoards gold and silver(along with guns) he's a gun collector which was weird for me to learn about as a Canadian. I pay taxes on ebay purchases and assume it is normal for Amy business to charge taxes. Taxes are different everywhere and here in Ontario it is the highest taxes in the country(at least for work) as far as I know.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the 1916 and 1920 50¢ pieces arrived today, both look at least vf to me but are in 2×2 holders. I will try posting them in there holders(if I take them out I have no more staples to re 2×2 them lol. I'm kicked onto the balcony for the next 10-15 so my fiance can put the baby to sleep(he needs background noise to sleep but if I open the door, Boom! Wide awake) the door isn't loud but he thinks if dada and thinks play lol so I have to stay away from bed time.

Edit: here are the two 50¢ pieces that arrived, any grade opinion you have you are welcome to throw in as well. Each coin cost 13-14$ after shipping and tax, not great but definitely worth it I'd say, I can post out of holder photos tomorrow night. It does seem like they may have been cleaned but looks fair for the prices. Please let me know multiple opinions as I have never bought online before.

Edit:posted the wrong prices paid.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/26/2021 07:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that you need to get some "grading" study under your belt if you think that they are "at least" VF. They aren't very far out of the "G" range.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree-_- my grading is not good lol

In my book f12 is, the highest points of the design have lost considerable detail, half of the jewels and pearls are worn away all high points show considerable wear. I'd say it has better details then f12 but my guess was between f12 and vf20, what makes it so much closer to g in your opinion?
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/26/2021 07:59 am
Learn More...
Canada
9957 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post them in the Canadian grading sub-forum, if you want opinions on grading.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already did @SPP, well the one I opened anyways.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2108 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also these purchases were just a spurt of the moment thing, after being told to stay away from ebay I didn't bother trying to get anything else, as the coins were already paid for I feel wrong returning them to the seller, though this is an option. If you think I grossly over paid then I should send then back at least the rest of them as I already took the 1916 out of it's holder voiding the return policy.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,669Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: