Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Time Bidding On Ebay

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,659Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So seems both are about VG8 so for 14 and 13$ a piece it seems I paid a fair price for both of them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4039 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong, but I think that the grading guides refer to the "jewels and pearls" as the vertical jewels and the band, not the design at the very top of the crown. I always look at the vertical jewels.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I think that sounds right @okie. So then 50% at least missing on the band
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4039 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use the vertical beads, not the crown band. I see well over 50% missing from the band. As I said before, your coins (1 a little better than the other) are not much above a G-6, so they're in the VG range.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a little weird that all the grading info I read is specific to the obverse of the coins. The detailing on the coat and collar put it above g for sure and some of the band still showing. The mustache and beard have not fully fused together yet and the ear is still prominent. I'd say VG8+ but the reverse on both coin shows more detailing the the obverse so if the obverse effects the grade at all I would say VG10 but there is no grading info on how the obverse effects grade.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4867 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse in general has the highest points of design most coins, so the obverse will show the most wear will affect the grade
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense thanks john100, I'm sure the reverse plays a small part in grading as well but it makes complete sense to focus on the obverse if it generally has all the highest points of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4867 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No grading service grades the reverse ms 60 and obverse au 55 they will just grade this coin au 55
Edited by john100
10/26/2021 5:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100, I have to assume there is coins with large grade gaps from obverse to reverse. If the obverse is Au and the reverse is VF would that not lower the overall grade? And vise versa?

Edit:purchase 3/10 has arrived, think it is the 1$ coin I bought, waiting for my bus and I'll post it tonight probably in a 22. I think the 1920 I picked up is worse grade then the 1916. I'll post it as well put of the 22 but I'd guess a stretch at VG8, I also ordered a random Indian Head penny in fairly rough shape, the dealer advertised buy 2-5 coins get 1-4 mystery coin gifts depending on how many you order so I ordered the penny for an extra gift, mainly to see what kind of gift coins are offered lol. I'm still waiting on my 1914 50 coin as well(probably g-VG)
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/26/2021 6:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1$ coin I ordered, paid a few dollars over spot price, really hard to photograph as it has a lot of luster but unfortunately a fair size scratch across the obverse.

Mayb in th late future slightly less mint state coins will be worth more the melt, for not I think this is probably worth it's weight but another year. I only have two silver dollars, so not much if a collection there lol, in time it will grow:) worst case I have a couple of shiny silver paperweights:p
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three more orders arrived today, not sure what they are. I'm still waiting on the 1914 50 in either AG, G or possibly VG but I'm not holding my breath on VG lol
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Three more orders arrived today, not sure what they are. I'm still waiting on the 1914 50 in either AG, G or possibly VG but I'm not holding my breath on VG lol
Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the 1888 cent arrived today(looks a bit better then the picture I posted from ebay) along with the 1914 also looks better then the photo. I'd go with a g but might just push to VG, I haven't taken it out of the packaging yet. The 1914 was very professionally packaged compared to the 1888 and there was also a 1871 pei penny I believe that arrived(don't remember buying it) but I checked ebay and I paid very little for it so it's fine lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2100 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also spent a couple dollars on an Indian Head cent in probably G shape but no idea about American grading.

Edit: Cent not penny. I have always called them pennies so it's a bad habit lol.
Edited by Wrekkdd
10/29/2021 7:13 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,659Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: