Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 Lincoln Cent-Rim Ring With A Die Chip On The Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 278Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  12:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mr5hole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At first glance and subsequent research I wrote this coin off as a spender, but after taking a 2nd look I noticed an odd metallic / Alloy "mass" on the Reverse-Roof of the Lincoln Memorial. A Die Chip is the only explanation I can come up with.

Any help confirming this or explaining what otherwise occurred would be appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42002 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be a plating issue or an over abraded die issue. The obverse is showing ridge ring also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5955 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse Die Deterioration as evidenced by the strong ridge ring. Looks to me like die chips on the memorial building--if the features in question are clearly raised.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62973 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54663 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like die chips that were altered by Machine Doubling? Note the 'I' on AMERICA. Looks like a case of localized MD. Perhaps a bounce issue. Like a tornado, touches down and rises again on just one area of the strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mr5hole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. Mr. C, nice explanation / description of Localized MD resulting from "Bounce". I get it-kind of...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54663 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The MD doesn't have hard set rules, it does what it does on each strike. They can be different from coin to coin.

These were found in rolls of BU cents and there were several examples. Note that there is a die marker that matches each coin as coming from the same die pair. (slightly difference MD on different strikes)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: