Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Worth Collecting ?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 890Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur with what others have said about Littleton. Gaining knowledge of the hobby is your best option while asking your mom to stop purchasing during this time, IMO
Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Littleton company is a leech on the hobby that has been suckering novice collectors for three generations...
Ouch. A little harsh?

While they are hardly saints, they are not the demons you portray.

I have to say, I may not be collecting today if it were not for my 1981-1983 run with Littleton. They filled a need when I did not have access to an LCS and had no idea what a coin show was.

Do I recommend them? No.

Things were different 40 years ago. Your mileage may vary.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62848 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps my choice of words was not the best. Let's just say that no company in the world has sold more junk than Littleton.
Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let's just say that no company in the world has sold more junk than Littleton.
There may be an argument for this, considering the volume of sales they have had in their many years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say for sure she's overpaying for what it is. That said, there's a couple factors at play here. If she's not mentally competent to take care of herself anymore, that needs to be addressed and something put in place for her own wellbeing, it's not a "why are you buying junk" conversation. If she has dementia and can't function daily weekly monthly, she really shouldn't be in charge of her finances anymore, and things put into place so she has her needs met and can't spend money she needs on a whim.

if she is competent, and she's got her bills paid, she's free to blow her money on whatever catchers her fancy, even if you think it's a bad idea, it's her money and if she burns through it and there's nothing left in the estate in the end, again, it's hers to do with as she wishes. You could voice your opinion, but it's hers and she might not like your opinion on how she spends her money.

I would suggest you don't approach it from the angle that she doesn't know what she's doing, or she's being taken advantage of or getting ripped off though, it's a bad idea. She's a grown person, and may get triggered by you butting into what she likes and wants to do. It might be more productive to take interest in it and what she's doing, is she buying these items for something to pass on? or is it because she likes it herself and using that as an excuse? See what she likes about it, and steer it in a more productive direction, while you spend time with her in the process.
or if she's doing it for something to pass on of significance, maybe find out what she likes that has value and steer her in that direction going forward.

This all said, I see nothing there in the pictures that sells in the hundreds or thousands dollar range individually. All of the items pictured could be bought right now from littleton, or American Mint for $10-$20-$30 each. Maybe something that sold for like $50 tops. If she spent thousands, these items aren't it.

Not sure your particular situation and if you are seeing the charges, or she's telling you she paid a lot for them, but those items all sell relatively cheaply. I looked most of it up, these pictures are full blown retail from the sellers for around $400 for all that is pictured, and it's likely worth a quarter to half of that, maybe if it were all sold to people on ebay.

From this isn't not as bad as it sounded at first, it's bad, but it's not that bad.

As far as Littleton, they do a "coins-on-approval" system, American Mint might do the same. They mail you items, you have to send them back or they will bill you.

Simple calls to them telling them she is elderly with dementia and you will report them to authorities for elder exploitation and to remove her from any on-approval programs they might have her on, should put an end to that nonsense quickly, if she's mentally competent to take care of herself and her finances though, there's not much you can do, she can go right back to them if she chooses.

I wish you the best of luck with the situation, but I think you should tread carfully on how you handle it. My mom like the mail order catalogs and buys overpriced junk, we've had arguments over it, but she's competent, and in the end it's her money, and she's constantly going to go to the "well your brothers never come and see me, I'm by myself all the time unless you come by"

For the record, I go by daily and spend time with my mom because I know she's alone. She does the by mail catalog shopping, because it's what makes her happy during covid and hiding from the world and the tv news nonsense, and, and, plenty of reasons. and yeah, I've got crappy brothers that live close enough to stop by daily also, but don't but are gonna wish they had after she's gone, just like they wish they had spent time with my father before he passed... it is what it is.

Sorry so long winded, but hopefully I helped in some way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing here sounds good. The copys are worth next to nothing and the littleton stuff was overgraded as others have said.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 890Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: