Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 LMC Cracked Skull

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 293Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
331 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

This is my first post using the coin microscope generously provided by EScott Coins. I posted a question asking if I could sell a RIDB for enough money to buy one and EJ nicely offered to send me one free of charge.

I am trying to get the hang of lighting issues. I turned down the White setting, but still need advice on settings, lighting etc.

Please feel free to critique current pics and offer suggestions. I have 2 sets for comparative purposes.

I think this is another RIDB on the obverse but could just be crack w/die chip. Also reverse shows something on the left wheat stalk but I am uncertain as to the cause. Please let me know what you think.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5925 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice skull issue. Obverse shows early stage Die Deterioration in the 6 of 1956. Die chip(s) on both wheat stalks(?)--closer-in photos would help.

To get the hang of things photographic, nothing beats taking a ton of images to get comfortable with what works well, and not so well. Vary lighting--many sources/few sources, direct/indirect, diffused (using tracing paper or thin, translucent white plastic to cover the light source).
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's awesome that you can take full-coin pics with your scope, on mine I can only take pics of most of a cent. One thing as far as tweaking the photos., maybe focus the scope just a bit. Regardless, nice pics!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set:
http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ijn1944 & Coinhunter4, pics are better than in past, improving and thanks for thoughts and comments! I will try getting close up :)
Edited by Cons
10/23/2021 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7558 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin photography isn't easy, but very rewarding once you get the hang of it. As Jni mentioned above, practice makes perfect... keep at it, you'll get there. Very nice first attempt with your new scope. Work on the lighting and focus a bit more, but overall, good job!
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks merclover, excited to be making progress!
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a light source coming from the top of your photo. Notice the top of the background is brighter than the bottom?

That causes shadows and glare, sometimes making it hard to see detail.

I know many people swear by all natural lighting, but I take my photos at night and use the scope's light only to eliminate that slanting angled light source.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HGK3 I tried last night and there was too much glare. And yes the light I used for these pics was over the coin. I used a filtered light bulb.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Taking a good full picture with a scope can be a challenge. If you can't get the full coin due to the focal point being to close. Try raising the scope up with a book or something similar. The increase in distance will allow a full in focus picture....
Pillar of the Community
United States
4218 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are on the right track to getting good pictures. But, maybe you can place a soft cloth on the base of the scope to reduce the glare off of it. That glare detracts from the coin a little bit. A cloth may also help to protect a coin from damage or scratches.
Valued Member
New Zealand
89 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NZStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does your scope have its own lights? if so turn background light off
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for you support Dearborn and Sir Derrin :) No light on scope NZStamps, glare def a problem. I will keep trying.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some close ups. Hope you can see better what is happening on reverse. Still wondering die chip vs break.

Getting the hang of my microscope but it is slow going. LOL I do have a light on it and just found it. Tried all sorts of different setups and this is the best I was able to achieve.

Any suggestions appreciated on improving photos.

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: