Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early 20th Century Six Pence Silver Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 636Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

149 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think I unburried some nice six pences that will go out eventually for grading. I've gotten to know these coins fairly well now and have learned a few things about the design. On the bird, complete tail feathers are a sign of a good strike, and will as leg scales. There is a cut in the design which is part of the tail feather colors. On most coins it looks almost like hits on the coin. That turns out to be wrong. Also special attention needs to be paid to the ear of the Monarch, especially King George VI

This is an extrodanarily nice 1943 which is very clean until high magnification

The obverse shows some slight flatness on the upper shoulder and the tail design doesn't do straight through to all the feathers, but all the feathers are sperated and distinct. I think that is the die or the strike because there are some obverse die cracks over the beak, down the tail, nea the X, over the A
Edited by radars_teddy
10/24/2021 04:05 am
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 1943 has a few more hits on it, and maybe not MS? It might benifit from an acetone wash. Its tail feathers are struck better but have chatter. It is not full tail feathers, although it has more of the deisgn imprinted on the coin that the one above. The portrait of George VI is overall flat.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19262 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No pictures for me unfortunately, but would like to help with the grade. I agree with your perceptive comments.
Aussie sixpences are as familiar to me as dimes are to Americans.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 1936 has Goerge the V with the big full beard. It is an entertaining obverse. It is a very nice strike and clean. The upper shoulder of the bird is very nice but the tail feather design is virtually missing and there is a hint of leg scales. There are a few hits in Georges ear. I lot the bid on a recent NZ 1933, I believe, of this design that had a fantastic strike and was exceptionally clean. I hope I find another one soon.

there are also details on the protraits colar that are just not in this coin.

Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1936 that probably has some genuine circulation wear on it, but it is still very pleasing

Pillar of the Community
Australia
978 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No pictures for me unfortunately

no photos showing ... check here for uploading images https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12063 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the pics fine. It's probably a browser issue for those who can't.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those are great picks and they are easy to see on any fucntioning standard web browser, so I am not sure what I can do for you other than not post any more images.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
978 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they are easy to see on any fucntioning standard web browser

I use Goggle Chrome ... also tried Microsoft Edge and still the same result!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3342 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the pictures fine.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I use Goggle Chrome ... also tried Microsoft Edge and still the same result!

Same here,not showing with Chrome or Edge,must be a setting somewhere I can't find.
I'll have a look when I have more time.

Edit...got it showing,right click,'open image in new Tab'.
Edited by Basil
10/24/2021 6:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
978 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...got it showing,right click,'open image in new Tab

Yes, that works but it's strange that you have to go down that track. This is what I'm seeing ... something's definitely amiss!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12063 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know jbuck has addressed this before. I believe there is a browser security setting you can change that will allow the images to load. I use DuckDuckGo and it works fine.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3183 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see them well! The coins are not bad. My grades for them.

1943 - 1st coin - high VF (The obverse on these coins is very sharp from VF due to the high rim and recessed fields, grading above VF usually focuses on the monarch and this coin has flattening on the cheek, hair above crown and eyebrow. It's almost EF, but a wee bit flat.

1936 - 1st coin, mid VF - the pearls surrounding the middle jewel in the crown band are merged (An EF coin would show them clearly separated). This is an attractive coin for a scarce date though!

1936 - 2nd coin, highest fine/aVF - here the central diamond is flat and some of the crown band is merged with it. By now there is light wear on the huia too.

But most NZ silver of this era is heavily worn and these coins are well above average!! They are collectible and nice coins!

1943 - 2nd coin - bare VF - George is much flatter, but again the Huia (The bird on the coin) is nice and sharp.

(PS: I grade British style and grade quite hard, so VF = XF American style)
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3183 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the same coins in EF and AU grade, Truly UNC George V coins of NZ are extremely expensive (high $000s)

And a virtually UNC 1944! Coin on right, left coin is EF/EF+

Typical condition on the other hand!

Standard Kiwi melt silver in Good or VG condition, the Kings are basically flat or have limited detail and a gungy green/gray colour due to half copper mix!

Finally radars_teddy

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
149 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add radars_teddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the grades and the comments. I have something new to learn today!!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 636Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: