Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inflation Impact On Gold And Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 414Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  6:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do you think the increased inflation rate in the US will impact prices?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, absolutely.
Nevertheless no real value profits can be made on re sale, unless the bullion value rises faster than the inflation rate. You may still have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the profit margin above the inflation rate.

Some bullion investors try to illegally avoid CGT, by simply ignoring it, and not declaring the profit.

Buy/sell spreads also have to be considered.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No cap gains impact as I don't sell nor am I looking for profit

I would be happy if it simply holds its real value versus inflation
Pillar of the Community
United States
4202 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. Barely keeps up with inflation as it is.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just add, stack not for sale. This is your hedge against inflation. Inflation, devaluation of the dollar, replacement of the reserve currency, and crypto tell me keep it all, as it will soon be gone. But you will have something many people wish they did put away. Demand now exceeds production already.
Have you noticed copper supply and demand. Same scenario.
Exchanging PM for fiat money is just plain stupid, IMHO.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To put it another way, relative to my earlier post,
bullion prices will rise in dollar terms, if the dollar suffers from inflation,
(provided all other factors which affect price remain the same, which never happens).

It is apparent to me that not just the U.S., but also most of the rest of the World is facing a period of higher inflation rates. This means that the exchange rate between major currencies will remain within acceptable limits. If follows from this condition that bullion prices will rise against all major currencies, but the real value of bullion will not change much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2393 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the mid 1990's I sold 4 common gold eagles for $200 each and bought a nice Breitling watch, which I'm wearing right now. Common gold eagles now trade at $1000, and I could still buy a comparable watch by selling 4 of them.

Gold has kept pace with watches anyway. Over the last 25 years, gold has had its ups and downs, but the long term trend has been up. It will probably continue that way, but who really knows? Watches on the other hand have gone up in price steadily.

For me the value of the metal is in being able to use it buy a watch, or a collector coin, or pay for health insurance. It has been a pretty good inflation hedge.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
11/08/2021 10:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
524 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69l

Quote:
You may still have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the profit margin above the inflation rate.

Not sure I agree with you. I get it that all jurisdictions are different but here in Canada, inflation doesn't matter when it comes to calculating CGT. Assuming that all lifetime limits and other thresholds have been addressed, if I purchase a commodity for $100 and later sell for $110, the $10 of gain is subject to CGT. It matters not that inflation has impacted the price of the commodity during the period that I held it. Were that the case, if the current purchase value of the commodity is $105 then the CGT would be based on $5 or if the current purchase price $115, then a $5 capital loss would apply... That is not the way that taxes in Canada (at least) work. CGT is based on any capital gain between purchase and selling price regardless of other factors.

This is the reason that investments that don't exceed inflation are so nasty... any gain in raw value is taxable regardless of whether there is a net drop in purchasing power... the taxation applied only reduces your returns further.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 414Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: