Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1855 Miller - Ny1068

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 229Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
57 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  2:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

I just picked up this merchant token and curious if anyone has any idea on the fuld rarity of it? I found it listed in the June 1899 issue of the Numismatist listed as plate #997 and it is listed as scarce. This pre-dates the fuld scale and yesterday's scarcity may not translate to today's. I am inclined to believe its rare. I have found two raw examples, one NGC VF-35 sold at Heritage Auctions (old slab, not in census) and the census at NGC reports one AU-55 with none at PCGS, no ebay sold, etc. etc. I do know it's a late die state based on the reverse cuds and grades AU or better are rare. Anyway if nothing else sharing for something different.

Edited by MaximillianMike
10/25/2021 6:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3983 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As tokens go, based upon those I've encountered over the years, I'd venture that this issue is R-5 in number, being fairly scarce. The relative scarcity of these in the marketplace may be explained by its popularity as a large cent lookalike and its being from a scarce town. Early coppers guys like this copycat large cent issue and would be so inclined to hang onto their specimens. This scenario holds true for counterstamped coppers as well.

IMHO, the subject piece is VF-30. I sold my XF-45 a few years ago to a dealer for about $100.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exoguy

The likeness to a large cent and the cuds are what attracted me to it and I am a copper collector and EAC member so you are spot on. The reverse is sharper than the obverse I was thinking it would likely fall into the 40 range but not really planning on submitting it either way. Thanks for the reply!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3983 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Max .... I was a former EAC member for a few years. My affinity for counterstamped coppers wasn't as popularly shared by other members it seemed, so I departed to greener pastures. I'm betting that this Miller piece will remain in your collection for some years to follow; thus, further adding to the scarcity of this issue in the marketplace.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exoguy,

It defenitly will stay put. I understand about EAC. There's alot of great folks in it and many well advanced. Sometimes I do feel like a fish out of water but I learn alot from Pennywise. Once I have my classic coin conditioner back I will safely remove the black residue from this token and get it looking alot better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3983 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed Pennywise too, Max, learning about the perspective and nuances of early cooper collecting. I just couldn't relate. I did discover and personally attribute two NC's in my studies. Those were the highlights of my copper adventures. To me, the counterstamps and tokens in general provide far more intriguing study than discerning die states, tacking provenance, etc. I still have and enjoy some good friends who are devout EAC'ers, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaximillianMike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HoosierDaddy

Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: