Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where Do You Shop For Your Coins?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 885Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I failed to mention this earlier, but the US Mint has received all but $60 of my numismatic spending this year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I miss the coin shows. Have not been to one since right before it happened (February 2020). There is one next weekend, but I will pass because regardless of the rules in place, more than half will break them which means there is no possible way to enforce them.

I forgot mention, but the coin show I went to last Sunday also had an early bird option: pay $10 and you can enter at 7 AM to have most of the room for yourself and the dealers.
Perhaps that is an option for you, jbuck? Just bring a mask and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. After looking and handling coins, just always clean your hands with the sanitizer. And at the end of the visit, clean your hands thoroughly in the bathroom. Then go home before the crowds arrive.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No early bird access here. Even if it were an option, I am sure half the early birds would be scofflaws.

I am still waiting to find out which hall the show is in. If they snag the larger hall, I might go. The rows between the tables are big enough for two cars to safely pass! If they are in the smaller hall, it would be too tight for me.

Gee, I might be starting to make Sheldon Cooper look chill.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck - I understand how you feel. We actually held the Hot Springs Coin Show last January which really surprised me - we were expecting it to be cancelled, but a couple weeks before the start date we got approval from the governor to hold it and a decision was made to go ahead. I'm the VP of the coin club which sponsors it, so felt obligated to be there on duty (and, at age 62, I'm the youngest board member by quite a few years...).

I spent very little time on the floor during my breaks, so I missed that but just didn't feel comfortable mingling at the tables, even with them spaced further apart. Dealers and attendees were very good with adhering to the mask and distancing rules, though, and we had procedures in place for contact tracing. Fortunately, there were no reported COVID cases as a result of the show.

This year, I had my 2nd Pfizer shot in April and just had the booster a few days ago, so I'll feel a bit more comfortable with the upcoming January show. I'll still be masked-up and have my hand sanitizer with me, however...
Edited by hokiefan_82
10/26/2021 6:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Public auction for better coins, coin shows, coin shops.
I don't use eBay, best for those who cannot easily access those options mentioned above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16169 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at a local show this past Sunday and was surprised to see that hardly anyone was wearing a mask and the show was crowded . I was one of the few that wore a mask because at my age and with my medical conditions I'm vulnerable to the covid -19 or any other bad virus . I received my two doses of the vaccine two months ago but not the booster yet .
Sorry if this post is getting off subject ,but my main point is to remind you guys about going to shows with a lot of people in close quarters . Covid is still an issue in many Countries .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of my purchases are eBay or Canadian dealers with a website. There's been a lot of online auctions in Canada with nice stuff, but after buyers premium, taxes and shipping, it's hardly ever worth it for me. I did make a couple purchases from the US Mint this year. I'm probably going to attend my first coin show in almost two years on Sunday. I feel pretty safe attending as everyone is required to be double-vaxed (12+) and masked. One dealer you may want to check out is fubacoins.com.
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local "LCS" is more of a gaming store unfortunately. Small town. Facebook groups and ebay are 95% of my purchases so far. Found a few goodies crh. This is still all very new to me and I'm quite enjoying the hunt.
Pillar of the Community
United States
579 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to buy most coins on eBay. But I was quick to get somewhat obsessive about checkint new listings every day, easy to get carried away with the FOMO. I also realized most (not all) raw coins in AU or better strikewise were often cleaned or had altered surfaces. And I realized for $100+ for a higher grade coin I want as crusty and original as possible.

Anyway, if you Google the following:
"Master List of Online Coin Dealers - Dealers with GREAT Websites"

.you'll find some good hits. It was a bit tedious but a few yrs back I essentially visited nearly every website on that list until I found a few that carry the types of coins I'm into.

Now I mainly visit these sites and a few others and spend less time on eBay.

Edited by one_fine_dime
10/27/2021 08:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4474 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Where I live there's nothing approaching a "local" coin shop, so it's a sixty mile drive (one way) to the big city where there are several. Over the years I've settled on two where I can find some fantastic stuff, in all categories. Never know what I'm going to see on any given visit. The occasional coin show in that area has also in some instances proven worth the trip.

Over the years I've bought some material on eBay, too, but it's not so much fun as the in person "treasure hunt".

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
10/27/2021 12:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you cannot access a LCS it may be worth thinking about establishing a good rapport with a major coin dealer.
Deal via on-line and telephone, with snail mail for coin deliveries.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This year, I had my 2nd Pfizer shot in April and just had the booster a few days ago
My 2nd shot was in May. I was told I can get my booster in November... two weeks after the show!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was told I can get my booster in November... two weeks after the show!

That's unfortunate. They do seem to be pretty strict that it's been at least 6 months since the 2nd shot before you can get the booster.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thankful the vaccines exist. I just wish more people felt the same way.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double vax should be well over 90% for the whole of Australia by end October.
I am visiting coins shows and auction view days again.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 885Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: