Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vermont State Copper

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 423Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  3:15 pm Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a worn badly no date facing left variety. A metal detecting find. Just curious how many left facing coins were made.
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way to know how many were minted, there were no accurate mintage records. I believe there are only three head left varieties though. If you post a picture there may be enough to ID the variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8416 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 2 bust left Vermont issues, one dated 1786 and one dated 1787. They are both rare but the 1787 is considerably rarer. Without the date and if the coin has been in the ground, the copper planchets were not the greatest to begin with, identifying the date will be challenging. The 1787 would be the jackpot.
Edited by numismatic student
10/25/2021 5:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are actually three, two 1786's, RR10 and RR11, and one 1787 RR15. RR15 used the same obverse as RR11 with a 1787 dated reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8416 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I defer to lcutler on the varieties. Also note that the date for this coin is in the reverse below liberty rather than below the left facing obverse bust. The date is fairly large but it may still be difficult to find and make out on these old coppers.
Edited by numismatic student
10/25/2021 6:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No chance on this coin. The date is gone. The is easily a Vermont copper but beyond that it's doubtful to maybe get the variety. will try to add a picture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot how to add a picture here!
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually seeing the date isn't that important. Varieties are usually identified by position of the legends or punctuation. No guarantee, but if you can post a picture there is a chance!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are forum tutorials on how to post photos. Looking forward to seeing what you have.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need my teenager to help me. Dang I'm old!
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds painfully familiar!
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I forgot how to add a picture here!

Hope this link to the tutorial helps. I'm interested to see what you found!

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toasted farm field copper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep pretty rough! To complicate things further, it is not a Vermont, it is a Connecticut. The lettering remaining in front of the face is the TOR of AUCTORI, and I can [I think] make out the A. I can also see one of the N's of CONNEC on the other side of the bust. The reverse does not match any of the three Vermont bust left varieties either, there is actually a fair amount of detail left to determine this. The branch hand on yours is pointing at the D in INDE, on all three of the Vermont reverses it is pointing at the E or higher. I Collect Connecticuts by die variety, but unfortunately while there are three Vermont bust lefts, the number of Connecticut bust lefts is in the hundreds! No ID on this one!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: