Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1818 Capped Bust Half Dollar R5

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 267Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
627 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:49 pm Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was keeping my eye on this for a while. $198.41 after shipping and taxes. I took a chance on this coin at this price because I want to dive deep into the realm of rare capped bust halves. It is an O-112a with a rarity of R5 (31-80 known). This variety is a later die state, with a crack running from the bottom of the first 8 to the lower curl, through the stars on the right and over to stars 7 and 6. There is an additional crack that connects all of the stars on the left and comes down to the other side of the date.

I want to know a grade and if the price seems fair. Seller's photos.

Here is the listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234255733692?etmp=no

Edited by jacrispies
10/25/2021 10:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62716 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking VG-10. Is that a die event from star 11 to the 8 in the date?
Edited by Coinfrog
10/25/2021 7:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3261 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F Details, second obverse shot shows a couple scratches, one over the bust and a couple in the cap. That in combination with a couple rim dings makes it a Details coin IMO. Sans those, still has nice eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog, the 112a has a die crack going around the coin starting at the date. I described it in the first post.

Thanks all
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62716 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, thanks.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/25/2021 10:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10862 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F12 probably grades straight but I think you paid full VF20 money for it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F12
Pillar of the Community
United States
1016 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
f12
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
3246 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at VG10 at best F12. There was a NGC 112a VF Details that sold for $198 at Heritage about a year ago. In todays market for the variety you paid a fair price. If the seller would have known it was a rare variety, the price may have been a little higher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  01:18 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone's assessments. It has decent detail but severe cabinet rub and some bigger hits that would result in a lower net grade. Thanks all!

I will take some nice pictures of it and probably return it. It may be years for me to make any money on it and it is too worn for my bust halves set.
Edited by jacrispies
10/29/2021 01:21 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: