Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acetone On Copper Not Good?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 390Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
312 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I want to get rid of some newly handled with out gloves copper. If I cannot use acetone to get the oils off what can I use that is safe? Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62852 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingerprint impressions generally cannot be removed from copper. Show us some examples.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16177 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, but as far as I know virtually nothing will remove finger prints off of freshly struct copper .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why I worded that so funny but I did. I bought some copper coins and the seller just handled them (today) without gloves. I'm trying to prevent the finger prints, they aren't actually visible yet. How would I go about that?
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
10/25/2021 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still guess a soak in acetone for the copper coins couldn't hurt, might even help a little
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
13923 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is almost completely safe for use on copper coins.

If bright shiny copper is left in acetone for weeks, under bright sunlight or UV light, then a catalytic reaction can take place turning some of the acetone into acetic acid and causing corrosion. Note that you need all three of those circumstances to cause damage. So if you have oxidized copper, or are working indoors away from direct sunlight, or are only soaking the coins for a few seconds (which is all you will need for removal of fingerprint oil) then this reaction cannot take place and you don't have to worry about acetone damaging your copper coins.

The vast majority of "acetone damaged my coins" posts, threads and YouTube videos you might see on the Internet are caused by the acetone removing grime or debris that was concealing corrosion damage that was already present on the coin, hidden underneath the grime.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn- They were a few Lincolns, no key dates but nice au/bu.

Sap- Thank you I feel comfortable letting them take a quick dip now.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
68 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An acetone you use shall be chemically pure, which may be a problem. I don't know about USA, but here it may be bought in special shops.

Try to drop it on a white paper before use on coins.
Nothing should remain after evaporation
Edited by Grinya
10/26/2021 01:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My store where I work sells 100% acetone in the nail polish section, so I just buy it there.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62852 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sap sums it up very well.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The stuff I get is 100% acetone, I also did the evaporation test prior to any of the baths I gave my coins just to check purity and it's good.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20477 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some time ago there was numerous stories about how Acetone effects Copper if left in Sun Light. So I tried putting Copper coins in Acetone and left in the Sun. I left them there for weeks and nothing happened. Of course those that said it does effect the coins may have been using a different Sun.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you were to read the source articles that started the whole scare you would find that the damage to the copper was seen when viewed under a microscope.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
Australia
13923 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here be a science paper discussing the phenomenon: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...468601003590

That's what happened in the lab. The trouble with "repeating the experiment" yourself, like Carl did, is controlling the variables and getting the conditions right. For example, the conditions in the experiment were: place the copper in a beaker with acetone, seal the beaker in a jar surrounded by water so the air inside the jar is 100% humid. Allow the acetone to completely evaporate out of the beaker over 18 hours, while exposed to light.

If you're just sealing up coins in glass jars and leaving them in the sun, then those are different conditions - there's no free access to atmospheric moisture, you're not letting the acetone evaporate away, and the glass jar may be blocking the UV light (or whatever frequency is causing the reaction; the experiment didn't control the light source or radiation frequency). It's also possible that coinage-alloy bronze (slightly impure copper) might not react in the same way as the 99.9985% pure copper used in the experiment.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up giving them a bath, thank you all for the help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 390Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: