Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An 1864 Two Cent Piece With A Patent Medicine Counterstamp .

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 509Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3984 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  01:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's an 1864 Two Cent Piece bearing a patent medicine stamp. Dave Bowers gets the credit for attributing this counterstamp. The issuer was Charles H. Goodwin of Exeter, New Hampshire. He had shops on Water Street, commencing in 1856. A pharmacist or apothecary by trade, he marketed and sold a variety of drugs and notions. It's thought that his OIL OF ICE may have been a byproduct of camphor; this, as there was a "camphor ice" product then known.

These OIL OF ICE counterstamps are typically seen on Indian cents. I also have a Shield nickel bearing this stamp. Brunk and Rulau documented about 60 known coins,with 1880 being the latest date recorded. The total may well approach a hundred or more.

This issue has been copied. The copies, produced with individual letter punches, have rounded O's. Note the squarish O's on this genuine piece. Fortunately, not many of these copies have been seen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62941 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it! My google search, however, did not enlighten me as to what "oil of ice" was. I would assume like most patent medicines it grew hair and probably cured everything.
Edited by oriole
10/26/2021 07:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2398 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great brand name! It brings to mind old whiskey brands like Elk Tooth and Vim.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Learn More...
United States
106568 Posts
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my way of thinking... OIL OF ICE would mean WATER. Perhaps this was the mother of all scams!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3984 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To my way of thinking... OIL OF ICE would mean WATER. Perhaps this was the mother of all scams!

I seriously doubt this was the case. Goodwin maintained a downtown apothecary business for many years. He must've had a good reputation as such. Scammers, the flim-flam men, were typically transients. I'd note that there were a good many traveling men who counterstamped coins to garner word-of-mouth advertising!

Camphor was extracted from tree bark and was mainly used as a soothing agent, applied to the skin. I was unable to find any ads suggesting that Goodwin widely marketed this product. However, he did advertise a few other of his products. Stay tuned for my next thread on these products ....

BTW .... Thanks for the enthusiastic replies, guys!
Edited by ExoGuy
10/26/2021 12:59 pm
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmgi2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19264 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can find a historical documented linking to the counter stamp, the coin would have a lot more numismatic interest.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19264 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can find a historical documented linking to the counter stamp, the coin would have a lot more numismatic interest.

'Oli of Ice' suggests camphor oil skin rub, to my way of thinking. Vicks Vapor Rub would be a more modern equivalent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3984 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I thoroughly agree and endeavor to do that with every article I write or counterstamp post that I make. If you check out my other postings, you can find many ads and pics of products. Oftentimes, I've acquired a silversmith's spoon with a matching hallmark, a knife with a matching maker's mark or a daguerreotype with a matching stamp on the casing. I can't afford to buy all the early guns, so I settle for pics of those.

I do have one of Goodwin's news ads that cites a pair of his other products. The OIL: OF ICE is not mentioned therein. I post that ad with examples of his other counterstamps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are OIL OF ICE counterstamps on a Flying Eagle cent, Indian Head cent and a Shield nickel.

BTW, my avatar ["USE GOODWIN'S GRAND GREASE JUICE FOR THE HAIR. G.G.G."] is also related to the above Exeter counterstamp.
Edited by captainrich
10/26/2021 10:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, and a deuce of course, I haven't seen that counterstamp before, really neat.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3984 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like it, and a deuce of course, I haven't seen that counterstamp before, really neat.

@ Westcoin .... I thought you might chime in on this "deuce" as you lovingly call it. The uncommonly seen host bearing this c/s was my incentive to acquire it.

@ CaptainRich .... Great examples, you've got. I've long admired your avatar!
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1997 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a bit of info here, which you're probably already aware of.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...ce-453353596

Quote:
It's likely his OIL OF ICE was a camphor in glycerin concoction. This information came from a 1928 Saturday Evening Post that mentioned "old Charles Goodwin invented Goodwins Grand Grease Juice and Goodwins oil of ice..."
I tried looking for the 1928 mention but their archives require a subscription.

This would appear to be his headstone in the Exeter NH cemetery. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial...enry-goodwin
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: