Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin Half Set Vs. Stacking

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 560Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  4:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Instead of stacking 90% junk coins (dimes, quarters, halves, and dollars), would it make sense to do a Franklin half set instead?
Or is the set too short to be of any use during an economic cataclysm?
Learn More...
United States
106419 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea of sets instead of random stacking because it would be a much more enjoyable journey.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmgi2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you thinking of putting together a set in circulated grades or unc's?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stack anyway.
Just take the best available pieces from your stack to build a date/mm set.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16170 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd rather build the circulated Franklin set .It's easily doable ,not by CRH'ing but going through dealers junk silver bins at shops , shows and ''We Buy Gold stores ''.
Let the fun begin .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd rather build the circulated Franklin set .It's easily doable ,not by CRH'ing but going through dealers junk silver bins at shops , shows and ''We Buy Gold stores ''.

Do junk silver bins still exist? Never seen any at the LCS in my neighborhood.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LCS in my area (Ottawa, Canada) indeed have junk silver bins. When they get too full, off they go the refiners.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would much rather do the Franklin set. As far as junk bins go, if they aren't visible you should ask. I recently visited a new Coin Store and I didn't see anything. So I asked and then was given a huge bin that was behind the counter hidden underneath some random inventory that wasn't accessible by customers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16170 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , just because you don't see what you want ,doesn't mean they don't have any . Most coin shops just don't have the room to display their entire inventory .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
106419 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as junk bins go, if they aren't visible you should ask.
I agree.

Dealers cannot always display everything. For what it is worth, the last Ikes I bought at a coin show were not on the table. I would have missed out had I not asked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And LCS won't be miffed if you are only interested in the junk bin?
Learn More...
United States
106419 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And LCS won't be miffed if you are only interested in the junk bin?
A sale is a sale.

Why even have a junk bin if you are not expecting to profit from it?
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I created two Franklin sets from buying rolls and going through them and stacking the remaining. LCS also has a 90% silver bin for stackers if you ask to see it. I have gotten many Walkers and Franklins from it. I did purchase a Bugs Bunny for my set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why even have a junk bin if you are not expecting to profit from it?

I was looking through a junk silver bin at a local "Gold for Cash" shops as a repeat customer. After about two minutes, the owner that was working there said "I don't have time for this" and gave me a lecture for five minutes about his problems (note there was nobody else in the store). I had many bad experiences at this one shop, and this was the last straw. There are too many nice people out there to get entangled with the salty ones.
Learn More...
United States
106419 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, wise of you to take them off your shopping list!

The "Cash for Gold" shops are seldom comparable to the LCS. The ones around here make the sold on TV stuff look like a bargain!
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd, do not be dissuaded by the term "junk" silver. Also referred to as constitutional silver. The term refers to pre 1965 dimes, quarters, and half dollars containing 90% pure silver that have lost any numismatic value due to wear from circulation or desirability. Silver dollars are not normally sold as junk, referring to Morgan's & Peace dollars. That is because the silver content is higher and most retain some numismatic value regardless of condition.
Any LCS that I have visited in the last 40yrs has had a junk silver bin. Such as a bin of dimes, a bin of quarters, and a bin of halves. Simply ask the dealer if he has any "junk" on hand and is so, the denomination you desire. The common practice, in my experience is that the dealer brings you the bin or tray, and you select the coins within that you want to purchase. I avoid shops that do not let you browse the bin. Some ask what you want, like $10FV quarters, and they will go in the back and bring you out 40 quarters. The shops that give you the bin and let you browse are the best bet.
You would be surprised at what you may find on any given day. There are shops that purchase from wholesalers exclusively as well as others that purchase collections from estate's as well. Or perhaps melt price exceeds numismatic value, so people Crack open sets to sell the silver because it is worth more than the intact set.
Then you come in a few days after the dealers purchase, and those coins are in the junk bin. I have many proofs acquired right after liberation. Many, many nice hole fillers for many type sets. Very nice winged liberties, nice Walkers. And on and on.
Sometimes, I do not know how I came across this. Most dealers will examine collections for key date but not for varieties and errors. They don't have time for that.
In the end, when you use your silver for barter, no one will care if it is VG-20 or MS-65.
Go find a LCS that let's you leisurely browse the bins and makes you feel happy when you get home. If you stack silver it is for barter. If you plan to sell for fiat money when the price rises, you are an investor. I am not an investor.
I hope this helps.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: