Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan: Worn Or Weakly Struck Breast Feathers?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 213Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In grading Morgans I find it tough to tell the difference.

I have always heard that O mint marks are likely candidates for weakly struck breast feathers.

However, even an Orleans strike could have started out strongly struck and then have worn down.

PCGS' PhotoGrade uses progressively worn-down breast feathers to decend the scale etc.

Here are my goals:

1) to be able to distinguish between worn and weak and

2) to be able to determine how much of a role %wise the breast feathers actually play in the determination of the grade
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooh, this can be a tough one ... To me, worn would have a little bit of luster subdued around the points of wear (assuming AU-50 to 58 grading) and there are probably multiple exceptions to this. Weakly struck in effect should look a little bit different than worn where there might still be gobs of luster present.

I would think the breast feathers would be a major grading detail for many coins, but again there are exceptions where the breast is not struck up at all, but the rest of the coin could be blazing mint state.

Just some musing here
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypesetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to think of weakly struck coins allot like a photo or picture that is soft and a little out of focus and wear is worn down areas
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A weakly struck New Orleans coin usually will have weakness in the opposing areas of the obverse and reverse. If the breast feathers are mushy, the hair over the ear should also be mushy. The dead giveaway for strike weakness is presence of original luster with weak hair and feathers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10862 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
strikes at the NO mint range from el crapo to sharp and bold. there is no general statement that can be made regarding strike at this mint other than 83 to 97 tend to be weaker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...presence of original luster with weak hair and feathers

Do you mean that the hair referred to is the part on the obverse right above the ear located directly underneath the highest points of the rev. breast feathers?

Would these areas (both obv & rev) shine/reflect equally with the rest of the coin for a weak strike?

And would it be correct to assume that for the most part a weak strike should not produce a worn rev. breast with a weak strike area of hair above the ear on the obv. and visa versa?

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: