Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did I Ruin This Coin? Or Did I Restore It? 1911 D Lincoln Wheat Cent

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 30 / Views: 860Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17235 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I would put this one in my Dansco and call it a well filled hole.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd also say it looks better, good job . As merclover said, definitely have to know when to pick your battles with restoration. Sometimes conserving can reveal underlying issues that time has "helped" cover up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job! Looks like you did well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1805 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just in case there was any misunderstanding.

From the picture the coin appears to be great and is marketable as a VG. There's no "need" to do anything else.

But I believe that if you rub your thumb next to your nose and then push it (the thumb ;) ) into the coin it will soften out the border between the dark high spot on the obverse and hide some of the light scratching all over the coin. Thumbing can also be beneficial in making a coin color naturally over time and look like it was just pulled out of circulation after 110 years.

It works on any circulated coin without luster and is best on copper. This hardly means every coin should be thumbed. Try it on worthless coins first to gain some experience. I've never seen it leave finger prints but if you're worried about it just wipe it gently with a soft cloth afterward.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
106270 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never been a fan of thumbing. I would see dealers do it way back when I first started going to LCSs and coin shows. It just seemed... odd. But I get it, we are talking about circulated coins. They were going to be touched and grimed up during their commercial use.

However, this coin was just conserved to remove that organic grime. It seems counterproductive to put some back, but to each their own. If anyone wants to do that before storing the coin, it is fine. I just respectfully disagree with the need as a point of personal preference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised by the positive responses. In the after photos I see hairlines that run on the obverse from WNW to ESE on all the high spots and in the open, centers of fields. None of these hairlines are in the fields immediately next to Lincoln. Isn't that usually evidence of clearning? I've had coins rejected as "cleaned" for fewer hairlines than that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5172 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great. Nice restoration.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
4673 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nick, you're mistaking planchet striations with hairlines. Those streaks are irregularities in the alloy mix, not incuse marks on the surface of the coin. This was especially common on early LWC's. More pronounced examples are called woodies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam E, the woody effect ususally runs across the full surface. My comment is about the lines that appear on only certain surfaces, and the lack thereof in the fields close to Lincoln's portrait.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4673 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its possible that area was more protected and didn't get fully restored from the Verdi Care. I don't think it's atypical for Lincoln cents to have some surface variation, and this one is pretty minor. In any case, nothing the OP did was abrasive to the coin, so I'm fairly certain what we're seeing is inherent to the coin's alloy
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vendetta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three thumbs up!
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great to me... Definitely didn't hurt it...
United States
4 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 44M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatman77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1911 D worth $6.48
Pillar of the Community
United States
5750 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 32M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. I would put this one in my Dansco and call it a well filled hole.

I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4011 Posts
Page: of 2 Replies: 30 / Views: 860Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: