Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A "Rainbow" Brand New 2021 US Morgan Silver Dollar CC Carson 21xc? (See Pic)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 556Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 24KTXDarling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I made an observation on one of the new CC coins I just received from the US Mint & I was wondering if this is normal, special, or an indicator of something else like a finish that may be undesirable in the long term?

One in particular displays a slight rainbow right under the ear when I shine a light on it otherwise you can't see it from far away.

Does this mean this one will turn rainbow in the future? What is this?

Note:
I also lifted the plastic cover to make sure it was not the plastic it's the actual coin that sparkles like this and you can see it more in a video.

Thank you,

NM
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert but to me it's a positive not a negative. It would be gorgeous if it spread.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62926 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't imagine this being a problem.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine have it also. Hard to photograph but visible at certain angles.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19262 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be a good idea to put it in an airtight after a desirable rainbow toning has spread over the entire coin.

If you don't, patination will continue un arrested over the years, until all of the rainbow effect will entirely disappear.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 24KTXDarling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be a good idea to put it in an airtight after a desirable rainbow toning has spread over the entire coin.

If you don't, patination will continue un arrested over the years, until all of the rainbow effect will entirely disappear.

@sel_69l

Oh Wow! So you mean I can make this spread by taking it out of its plastic capsule and just leaving it out?

Thanks,

NM
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19262 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will rainbow tone under the right conditions.
Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what those conditions actually are. Some research will be needed to find out.

I emphasize that when the most attractive appearance is reached, further patination needs to be stopped immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite all of the above comments, I actually prefer blast white silver coins, because that is the appearance they have when they first leave the minting press, and as close as possible to original pristine condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do what you want it's yours. Just saying if you leave it sitting out, its going to get dust settling on it, and that dust is going to contain contaminants that may make an undesirable effect.

Toning is a gamble and a long game, not a short game, the rainbow you are seeing is likely a slight film of oil/grease left behind from the minting process. weather while it was in transit to you could have also been a factor, but by how it appears, I'd say its likely oil left behind that's turning up rainbow under the lighting. generally if it went from an extreme hot or cold to the other direction it would fog up because it's metal, and that wouldn't be so isolated to the one area in the center of the coin so I dont' think it's an extreme event during shipping that did this, nor you storage over the last few days, or the mints storage since striking.

generally it starts as a film develops into a haze, then starts coloring as it thickens and light passes through it differently and show up different colors, until it reaches terminal colors of dark purple or black.
It can also tone an ugly brown color right off the bat with the wrong contaminants.

up to you, it's yours. but only time will tell how it turns out. If it were me, I'd likely give it a quick pure acetone dip to make sure it's surface is free of anything, then close it up in the capsule again and not deal with that gamble at all.

Just one persons opinion.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
10/28/2021 4:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the same things Big Kingdom. Oil droplet and acetone to remove it. Those presses require lots of it to operate. Hope my Peace dollar, the only one I bothered to order, doesn't have it.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
10/28/2021 5:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1975 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it were me, I'd likely give it a quick pure acetone dip to make sure it's surface is free of anything, then close it up in the capsule again and not deal with that gamble at all.

+1!
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my O's I got today has some toning .
Hard to see here but easy to see in the light. I took the capsule off to make sure it was on the coin and it is.

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThePennyHunter32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too have an "O" with rainbow toning in the exact same spot and also on the reverse towards the edge.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: